Obstetric cholestasis anyone???

iVillage Member
Obstetric cholestasis anyone???
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 2:49pm

hi all

well this pregnancy is turning into a nightmare.

first i get put on 2 injections a day of tinzaparin for blood clots and i have a needle phobia

second i get severe hyperemesis, and am hospitalised a couple of times a week

and now i have serve itching. i ended up in hospital early hours on friday morning the itching got so bad. they took some bloods and my LFTS (liver function tests) are raised indecating a problem with my liver.

ive had to have an indepth blood test done to see if i have Obstetric cholestasis. if it comes back positive (the docs think it will) i will be induced early. they said about 37 weeks. it can be linked to premature labour and still birth, so will be monitored closely.  so i might have 6 weeks left not 9.  the thought of being induced does not bother me. ive been induced twice before.

if it turns out not to be Obstetric cholestasis then i have more tests to be done. i go for a liver scan on the 2nd.

so im just wondering if anybody has any experience on this??

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 5:04pm
Sorry to hear your news. I have never had this but I saw someone on the Oct EC board who has this diagnosis, perhaps she would be willing to shed some light on the situation for you.
P&PT - I pray the tests come back negative.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 5:29pm
Oh no, I am so sorry you're having to deal with yet another obstacle during this pregnancy! I have not personally experienced it, but did do a lot of research when I had severe itching several weeks back. The itching eventually went away, luckily. But from most everything I read, they just monitor much more closely to make sure all is okay with baby, and then induce you a few weeks early. I believe they decide how early to induce based on how severe the issue with your liver is. Hopefully your tests come back okay and you won't have to worry about this, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 8:47pm
I don't have any experience with this, only my sympathies to offer. You must be feeling miserable. I am so sorry to hear that you're going through all of that and all at once! Good luck with the test and keep us posted.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 9:09am
You poor thing!! This just sounds miserable. I've only ever dealt with PUPPS rashes during pregnancy. I hope this clears up soon. Keep us posted!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 10:26pm
Sending p&pt your way! I had fifths disease when I was 5-6 weeks pregnant and the worst symptom was the itchy feet that I had. I would be awake all night scratching them unable to sleep. So I googled everything until I finally got diagnosed with fifths, bc my son had it too. Obstetric colestasis came up in the search and it doesn't sound fun.
Pregnancy%20ticker