Pediatricians Say Circumcision Benefits Outweigh Risks

iVillage Member
Pediatricians Say Circumcision Benefits Outweigh Risks
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 8:57am

***HOT TOPIC!***

Circumcising baby boys has clear health benefits and parents should feel free to have it done, but they shouldn’t feel pressured to do so, the top U.S. pediatricians group said on Monday.

Circumcision lowers the risk of a range of diseases, from AIDS to herpes, and doesn’t hurt sexual performance or pleasure in adulthood, the American Academy of Pediatrics said. While the Academy doesn’t go so far as to recommend circumcision as routine, it’s the group’s strongest endorsement yet of the sometimes controversial procedure.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/27/13460930-circumcision-benefits-outweigh-risks-but-parents...

Does their stance change and/or weigh in on your decision making about having your son circumcised?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member

I just read this today :smileyhappy: I was going to post it on our current circumcision thread, but you beat me to it! Lol!

No, it doesn't change things for me. We will circumcise, but my decision was made mainly from a medical standpoint anyway. We have a long line of urinary reflux in our family, so if circumcising helps cut the risk of urinary infection even slightly, we need to do it. The reflux by itself isn't dangerous... it's when bacteria is introduced that it becomes a problem.

I think if my husband were uncircumcised, and he himself knew how to deal with cleaning things properly, I might be a little more apt to weigh the decision. But as is, I think I'd live in constant fear.

Now, I will say that the thought of the procedure breaks my heart for him... no one wants their baby to hurt :smileysad: Part of me knows that he's got a perfect little body just the way it is, and if reflux weren't a factor, I'd be giving it some solid consideration.

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40