Preparing for baby: Recipe Exchange?

iVillage Member
Preparing for baby: Recipe Exchange?
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 7:53pm

I was thinking about last time around and how difficult it was to make any kind of decent meal for the family and how starving I always was when breastfeeding.  Maybe we should start a thread devoted to good meals that are delicious, nutritious and easy to freeze and thaw/bake?  Does anyone have any good suggestions or favorites?  I don't have one now, but I will look back at my recipe books and see if I can find any good suggestions.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 11:05pm
Great idea!!! I have a few that I'll round up and type out soon!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 10:22am
Definitely a great idea! I wrote my to do list the other day and this is a major item for me, a life saver over the first 2 weeks. As I gather my recipes I will share here but as a starter items that I always cook in big batches and freeze part for use later are spaghetti sauce, chilli, lasagna, roasts (chicken, turkey, ham, beef), meatballs, soups, bake a batch of chicken breasts and slice and freeze them for quick use (ie sandwich, quick stirfry w/ frozen veg, etc), any baking (muffins, cookies). All of those items freeze and reheat amazingly! I will look and see if there is a link I can post for a magazine that I have that is all about cooking in advance and freezing.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 4:35pm
Awesome! That would be great!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 4:38pm
Nice! Thanks for sharing that site.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 8:03pm
This is a good link - they made the magazine that I have with make ahead recipes but unfortunately you can't access an old copy of the magazine without purchase. I haven't tried these ones but I have always had great luck with any recipes I have made from their site / magazine.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/menus_and_collections/deep_freeze__comforting_recipes_safe_for_the_freezer.php

I am so craving the chicken and black bean burritos at the top of the page - yum yum yum. FYI they have a huge searchable database of recipes.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 7:45pm

I am starting this now - mostly doubling meals and freezing half. Here is my first freezer meal - the most tasty chicken soup I have ever made, rave reviews even from my kids tonight at supper. The only critisim was that we all wished we had some fresh rolls to have with it.

On the weekend I made a roast chicken  -a 9lb bird that I brined before baking simply with fresh thyme, summer savoury, rosemary, and oil rubbed on the skin and 2 carrots, 2 ribs of celery, 2 onions (skin on) in the bottom of the pan and baked at 325 for about 2 1/2 hrs until proper internal temperature was reached.

After letting the bird sit for about 10 mins (to let all juices redistribute into the meat) I stripped the carcass of all of the meat and put the carcass into my slow cooker, covered with cold water, and added fresh veggies - 4 carrots and 2 ribs of celery each cut into 1" chunks, 2 onions with skin on cut into eights, a few sprigs of thyme, and a bay leaf. I let it cook on low for approximately 24 hours. Strain all bones, veggies, meat, etc from the broth.

Put stock into a large pot to make soup (or reuse the crockpot if you want). Slice carrots (i used 8), celery (i used about 6 stalks), slice 2 onions, shred / cut remaining chicken meat. Add ingredients to the stock, bring to a boil, and cook until veggies are tender (about 20 mins). At this point I also added some frozen peas. You could add rice or noodles if you want but be sure to adjust cooking times accordingly. Fyi recipe was adapted from Chef Michael Smith (food network)

Done! A nice healthy meal for after baby arrives. Tomorrow will be a double batch of chilli (I think).

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 7:57pm
My garden has been over producing squash. I've made several loaves of zucchini bread and a few casseroles with yellow squash...does that count?!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:31am
You have me beat, Jules. I have only stocked up on frozen meals that I purchased recently at Trader Joe's. I had all intentions of making and freezing things (and that's why I started this thread), but I've found that our freezer may just be too small for this option. I wish we had a bigger freezer. The TJ's items are small and packaged already and I can just stack them up on top of one another. We'll have to throw in fresh veggies and salads from time to time. My freezer is packed to the max right now though.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:36am
Ya know - I think just having IDEAS for quick and easy meals is good, too. My family is going to be eating plenty of food from the crock pot this winter. That's the good part about having a late fall/early winter baby - the food is easy!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 5:51am

From some one who allready given birth  ( this May), when it comes to dinners, I sat down with my husband and asked him what he could cook.  So the plan was that he would  cook the next days dinner after we had eaten every night since our freezer is too small for cooking a head.  

Well that was the plan, it didnt happen because I love to cook so much and finding it relaxing, so when I cooked, he cuddled the baby.