Sharing a room with baby?

iVillage Member
Sharing a room with baby?
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 8:43pm

We're planning on having the baby in our room until we move into a bigger place. We have plenty of room in our bedroom and I think it will be much more convenient. However, I'm a little concerned about the idea of being intimate with DH with the baby in the room.

For those of you who've roomed with the baby for an extended length of time, how did you approach this situation? Was it weird having the baby there?

This all may be a moot point anyway, considering how sleep deprived and potentially uninterested we may be! But with DH gone for months and months, I can't help but have it on my mind now :smileywink:

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 10:17pm
It's pretty much a non-issue after the first time! You might feel a little "odd," but baby isn't watching. Baby has no clue. Baby does survive.

Both of our kids have roomed in with us and we clearly figured out a way around it! Also, keep in mind - the bedroom isn't the only place for the magic to happen! We sort of loved the living room for a while!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 9:27am

Our baby will be in our room too, until we get a bigger place. I was wondering this same thing.  We have 2 teenagers too...so... unless they're not home and we know they won't pop in...the bedroom is our only place.  I'm hoping I won't be all mental about it.  :smileyhappy:

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 3:45pm
I found that it was a non-issue. Baby was asleep in the crib, away from the bed and it was no big deal. Though, like you said, you are so sleep deprived, that I sure wasn't very interested.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 6:43pm

Yeah, we found that it was a non-issue too. We usually made our place in the floor, with our bed separating us from the crib. And you'll be amazed how quickly you can move when you hear the baby waking up :smileyvery-happy:

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 8:08pm
I agree with all the other ladies. I think that perhaps the first time I may have draped a receiving blanket over the side of the crib (for my own comfort) but quickly got over that.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 12:57am

We coslept full time until DS was 14/15 months old and we finished his room.  At which point he started sleeping there with NO problems and no real transition at all.  He was just ready and it was so easy and smooth.

When he was tiny and could sleep through anything, we would do it right there with him in the bed.  I even nursed him in the middle of it a couple times when he woke up in the middle (you do what you gotta do, LOL).   We had a little "snuggle-nest" type of cosleeper so we would just push him all the way over to the far side of the bed and we had plenty of room and mostly he never woke up or seemed to be bothered.

Once he was old enough to wake up we started doing it other places--the guest room or on the couch in the living room.  It was fine and even sort of fun--we did it on the floor in front of the woodstove sometimes in the winter, that was romantic.  

So yeah that is what we did!  Even when he was older we sometimes did it in the bed with him it was just not as fun because we had to be really quiet LOL

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 8:25pm

We are planning on having the baby in the room with us for the first 6 or so months as well. I found this ivillage article informative. http://www.ivillage.com/sex-kids-around-what-are-rules/6-b-139197