shopping for small sizes.

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
shopping for small sizes.
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 10:55am

I know we all want nice healthy size babies and no one wants to think about having a preemie, but my full term DD was under 7 lbs and had a head circumference of 13 inches.  I was fine with the clothes being oversize, you can work with that, but I couldn't keep hats on her head to save my soul.  She had a few issues with her temperature, so it was important she keep covered even in the house the first week.  I wasn't up to shopping due to blood loss and the shoppers I sent out could only find size 0-6 month hats.  This time I really wanted to have small hats available (best way to make sure I wouldn't need them :smileywink:).  I've spent weeks looking both online and in stores for these darn little things.  Every store seemed to only have 0-6 months, and online it would say newborn size, but would actually be 0-6 months.  I finally found newborn size hats and preemie size clothes at our local Burlington (sic) Coat Factory Baby Depot.  I thought I would pass that along in case anyone else is struggling with this too.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 11:38am
I've had 3 6-pounders and back then I could never find premie clothes easily. Now I see premie size everywhere. I'll probably get a couple of outfits to be on the safe side. But, I haven't looked for hats, necessarily, but I've seen clothes at walmart, JCP, and carters. I found that the hospital hats worked great if their heads were tiny. My oldest was a 34 weeker and he got a wonderful hand made knit hat while in the NICU.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 10:36pm

I have found lots of premie and newborn sized things at walmart. They have an ok selection of gerber newborn hats. Babies in my state, i guess because of the high altitude, tend to be 5-7 lbs when born so the stores around here have all the really small sizes.