Too soon to talk about names?

iVillage Member
Too soon to talk about names?
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 12:29am

One of the most exciting things about pregnancy are the endless possibilites of names!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 1:24am
My DH was talking over names when we were ttc. He keeps joking with me about naming a boy after him. I am okay with naming a boy with the same initials but have found very few that start with a H that like. I like Gabby(Gabrielle) for a girl. After having three girls I think that fits! With our youngest we didn't finally settle on a name until after she was born. Her middle name is Lael after my husbands grandfathers last name. If we have a boy I wouldnt mind George after my husbands father.
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 1:32am
How you liking the great wet northwest:) I am located in SW Washington.
Our first baby we lived in PA. I hated it! We ended up moving back to WA while I was7 mths PG. My DH drove the moving van I drove the truck and horse trailer.
It would have been a bit easier if there would have been Facebook back then.
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 3:29am
I am constantly thinking about names, even before I was pregnant I am obsessed with names. But I already have the girl name picked out for sure, both first and middle names are family names. I keep my names secret though. :) Boy names I have a few I love, but nothing set in stone.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 8:03am
We've somewhat talked about names. The girl names we've had picked out since our first are back on the table. Although the one I want the most, DH pushes aside. I've always loved Gabrielle. DH isn't too fond of it.
I have no clue for boy names. It was hard enough naming our other two.
Jen
Wife to Steve
Mommy to Chase (5) and Jasper (1)
Step Mom to Elizabeth (12) and Christian (10) pregnant
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 12:21pm

We have started talking about names just because it is soooo hard for us to decide on something that we both like. SO we have started writing down names that we come across that we like and every once in a while Ill say "Baby how about *First Middle* for a girl?" and such We arent getting to serious and deciding yet.

We are planning to have 1 or 2 boy and girl names picked out by the time we go to the ultrasound to find out the gender.

As far as using family names, Im not really sure. I wanted to use my husbands name for a middle name if we have a boy but Im not sure that he wants to do that lol. We are most going for mixing our backgroudns to find a name... My husband is African American and I am half Cherokee and half Caucasian... So we are trying to find names that can reflect both.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 1:54pm
Its never too early to talk names! We have had the same boys name picked since our first dd and never had a chance to use it - William Isaac (was James Isaac but dd 2 got the name jamie so a quick substitute). We never ever agree in girls names, both dd's were named hours after birth even though we knew the sex second time. Dh named #1 and I named #2.

Both girls share family names - first is Annika Dawn, Dawn is my and my moms middle name and dh moms first name. Second is Jamie Elizabeth Bertha, James is a very common male name in both mine and dh family, Elizabeth after my great gram and aunt, and Bertha after dh's grandmother (he had been bugging me to make her fist name bertha but was happy enough just to have it included and she was ecstatic).

Boy or girl it will have a family name as some part.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 4:16pm

We started talking about names around the time that we were deciding to start trying. We have a pretty long list both for girls and boys! Looking through that list now, some names are growing on me more than others.

Girl names we love:

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 9:42pm

Girls

Paiola Rose (unique name from Paola, small/secret Italian)

Zarah Rose (Hebrew Princess)

Liaura Rose (unique name from Liora, light/compassion Greek)

----------------

Boys

Zaine Corbett (Hindu for godly light, middle name French fo crow, black/white)

Phoenix Rohan (Rising or immortal = Phoenix, Rohan = red Irish)

Landen Pierce (English Landen = Hill/Mountain. English Pierce = Rock strong name)

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 3:18pm

We won't be talking names until we find out the gender. DH doesn't like to talk about things that won't happen. But we still have the list from when we were trying to figure out our daughters name. With her we went into her birth with 2 names (Gabriella and Sophie) and the minute she was born and I saw her I knew Gabriella was her name. SOphie didn't fit her at all.

So I think we are going to do that again. DH is really hoping for a boy, so if we find out we are on team blue then we will have a long 20 weeks because we don't agree on names. I would love to name him after DH, - his name is Michael and we already have the middle name picked out if it's a boy it will be James after my dad (it's a tradition in DH's family to use the mother's fathers name as the middle name for the first born son).But if it's a girl I am not sure the names I like now are SO different than what I wanted when I was pregnant with Gabby. Sophie I don't like anymore but I am now liking Avery....so it's weird I guess I will just start the list.

My problem is our last name is short, only 3 letters so I like longer first names.....

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 3:38pm

DH and I talked about names when we first started TTC, and I had been thinking about them since HS. Since my husband is Irish American and I am Scots-Irish American we are going with Celtic names that will also fit with his last name and aren't too out there. We have already been forbidden to use weird names like Sunshine and Apple by my FIL.

The names I like right now are Prescott Seamus (Scotty for short) and Kaitlin Eloise (Kat for short), but that may change during the pregnancy. And I might throw everything out the window and choose something different when I deliver as well. The only names that I love, but am not allowed to use are Liam or Michael since his older brother has dibs on them (very diplomatic right?).

Pages