Anyone else planning a home-birth?

iVillage Member
Anyone else planning a home-birth?
Thu, 07-05-2012 - 11:04pm

We had a great home-birth with my DS and plan to do another one this time around!  On my last PG there was at least one other home-birth Mom . . . anyone else here?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Re: Anyone else planning a home-birth?
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 11:47pm
mandmleona wrote:

I've never heard of a cord snapping before.  That must have been a bit of a surprise.  I'm glad it all worked out well for them.

I have heard of it before--especially in cases like hers where the cord is around the baby's neck or already out before the whole baby is out--it's like the amount of cord that is left inside the body is not long enough so the force of the birth can snap the cord.  It can happen sometimes too from the force of birth with a short cord which just happens sometimes.  That's a really scary scenario, too, because not only is the baby not getting oxygen still through the cord which makes it more important that he breathes right away, but if the cord isn't clamped immediately the baby can lose their entire blood supply in only a few minutes!   Eek!   I'm really glad my friend and her hubby like handled the situation so well!  

Anyway I will ask her tomorrow about the resources she used and let you know!  Like I said I think I will read up on it myself, I honestly feel like I would be a lot more worried without a midwife there (just for myself, I feel much more comfortable with someone who has done hundreds of births and dealt with all kinds of complications like this) and I could see myself having like a 2 hour labor and my midwife missing it SO EASILY!  LOL--she is a little flaky in some ways and yet I totally trust her in terms of helping me deliver the baby/dealing with complications--but if she's at another birth or has an emergency with her kids or it's like 3 am when I go into labor or something---it's possible she could miss it.  And I just know this would make me a lot more stressed, especially if I felt unprepared.  I should actually talk to her about these fears because she could probably set my mind at ease.  

Photobucket