Anyone else still BFing an older one?

iVillage Member
Anyone else still BFing an older one?
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 6:35pm

I'm still nursing my other November baby--he's 20.5 months old.  We're vegan and he has tons of food allergies and always been skinny and I would really really like him to continue to nurse after number 2 shows up--I've heard the fatty milk can really help fatten up both babies.  

I'm nervous but more nervous at the thought of him weaning . . . any one else still nursing an older one?  What's your "plan" if you are?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 10:19pm

Thanks Katie!  It is a wonderful experience though the beginning can definitely be challenging--it's worth it to work through the struggles!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 10:18pm

Yay Kristin I'm glad to have a few fellow tandem-to-be Moms on here!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 10:16pm

Leona you should buy/read "adventures in tandem nursing"--it addresses a LOT of your concerns.

Like a lot of Moms thought that tandem actually helped to REDUCE issues and problems between the siblings because they could both nurse together and it wasn't something they could compete over---it allowed older one time to be close to Mom when they really needed it, etc.  

I'm worried about nip pain in the early days too but I want to tandem anyway . . . since we're vegan I just feel like nutritionally it would be great for Jamey to get a shot at the newborn milk---I'm heard both babies get fat when you tandem and since I've never had a fat baby EVER (lots of food sensitivities for Jamey, too) I'm excited at such a prospect!

You should DEF  check the book out I bet it would really set your mind at ease in some ways!  The first chapter is even about weaning if you decide to go that route as well!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 2:01pm

Since this is my first I am not personally BF right now, but I find it encouraging that so many of you are still BF your older children. I just wanted to cheer you gals on!

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 10:11pm
Can't say I am or that I (or anyone I know) have ever tandem fed. Both of mine self weaned quite early (about 15 mos and not even a year). They seemed to self wean not long after I got pregnant again, guess they didn't like the changes to my milk / supply. That is also what I have heard from a lot of my friends (kids self weaned once they got pregnant or during the last trimester of pregnancy). Best of luck keeping him 'attached'.
Fyi - both of my kids were also super skinny (and my oldest still is). My oldest has never had an ounce of fat on her and had the skinniest little baby arms and legs you have ever seen. Seems to me this is completely normal for a bf baby and it is why they have 2 seperate growth charts for breast fed and bottle fed babies (at least they do in Canada).
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 9:34pm
Personally, I think it would be easier with twins than with tandem nursing - how do you know any different? You don't have different sizes or schedules or needs, either!
I think it's awesome that you're willing to try and I'll bust out my boobie pompoms for you all the way if you decide to give it a try!!
I did give my extra (because I could nurse a nursery) to my nephew who has Cerebral Palsy with both of my babies. I had to pump and my kids looked at bottles and flipped them off. So, I just let him use it in his feeding tube!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 9:24pm

Yeah my son has been 99% in height and 20% in weight since he was 4 months old.  But again a lot of it has to do with food allergies.  He is definitely not unhealthy (hence the 99% in height), but I definitely wouldn't mind giving him a shot at the plentiful new milk!  And yes I do worry about being stretched too thin especially emotionally.  But DH will have a month of paternity leave so I'm hoping it will help to have that extra support--it was hard enough to feed myself enough when I was nursing one, let alone two!  Idk how twin Moms do it.  LOL

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 7:46pm
I have never tandem nursed. I don't think my son would have gone for it since he was 7.5 when his sister showed up. DD is going to be almost 5 - so again, not an option here. That being said - My breastfed babies have always been SUPER LEAN. I'm talking 95% in height and 45% in weight. They are perfectly healthy, just thin. My pedi said it's really normal for BF babies to lean out in toddlerhood, especially when they eat a really nutritious and whole food diet like we do about 85% of the time. He did encourage me to supplement with plenty of DHA and EPA as they grew, however.
I had a friend that tandem nursed for about six months. She seriously wore out. She just couldn't keep up with both of them, so she weaned her 2.5 year old. That's my only experience with it, honestly!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012