Is anyone planning on NOT BFing?

iVillage Member
Is anyone planning on NOT BFing?
Sun, 07-08-2012 - 8:56pm

I know because I took a poll on my blog and got over 200 responses that pretty much EVERYONE now-a-days at least starts out BFing  . . . .

Anyone not planning on even TRYING it?  Just curious if we have any planning to FF and what your reasons are.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Re: Is anyone planning on NOT BFing?
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 10:32pm
blessedmomma050812 wrote:

I am going to try this time..hey maybe 3rd times a charm right!?!? 

Good for you!  I know plenty of Moms who weren't able to the first or second time but it worked out for subsequent babies!

For me, I was/am EXTREMELY committed to BFing--I literally read multiple books and had been involved in consulting online about it for YEARS when I had my son and WOW it was so much harder than I thought it would be.  

It took me 24 hours to get my son latched on correctly--even though I knew so much I didn't realize until he was much older that he had a lip tie and slight tongue tie--this made latching VERY hard for him and PAINFUL for me.  I had severe pain for almost 6 weeks, which could have been prevented if the tongue/lip tie had been caught right away and clipped.  These issues also caused/contributed to oversupply which just made everything worse.

I definitely think that if I hadn't been SO COMMITTED and knowledgable I might not have made it.  For me I just didn't consider formula or even pumping to be an option.  We are also vegan and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a dairy OR a soy based formula, personally.  I wish there were BETTER formula options out there for people.

One other thing was that my son had SEVERE food allergies (to my milk) to literally like huge amounts of food.  We are already vegan, like I said, and I'm also gluten-free--or I am strictly now.  I did go back to eating wheat for awhile after he was born but he was allergic to wheat and I gained so much weight while I was eating it that it helped me feel good about giving it up permanantly.

In addition to wheat he was allergic to soy, corn, coconut, caffeine, yeast, citrus, tomatoes, sesame, pumpkin, chickpeas, peas, peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts, beets, sorghum . . . honestly I'm probably forgetting some.  I had to go on an elimination diet while BFing and almost nothing was left--I lived off of rice and beans.  Obviously no formula would have worked for him anyway!  I'm glad I didn't end up switching to formula before identifying the allergies because I would have been SCREWED!  Anyway, my friend who is a chiropractor does this acupressure treatment for allergies and was able to take care of ONE allergen at a time.  For awhile I went twice a week so that I could expand my diet as quickly as possible--this was hard as their office is 45 mins away and I had a brand new baby along with me for all these trips--but it was worth it whenever I could go home and like, eat chickpeas again--LOL.  

Anyway, yeah, the point being that it can be really difficult to make it all work sometimes!

For you Heathers and others who want to be successful this time around, I'm a big believer in that all problems can be solved!  And if you don't get answers you like from one nurse or LC, call a different one, get a second opinion.  Some of them suck, I have heard bad stories.

Anyway, I have consulted online about BFing for years now and sometimes the simplest thing can make a difference!  One Mom I worked with recently was having issues latching her son--a lot of times he seemed to fight nursing.  Turns out what she was doing "wrong" is trying to engage him on the breast by pushing on the back of his head--turns out a lot of babies HATE this and will refuse to latch if you do this.  All it took for her to solve the problem was learning/knowing that you needed to press the baby from their shoulders/back of their necks while allowing the head to tip back.  This was a life-saving technique for me with my son, too!

So if ANYONE has issues with nursing right after birth PLEASE post about it and I/others will try to help.  And no judgment--one thing I have really learned about nursing is that some/any is better than nothing and support will ALWAYS ALWAYS go farther than criticism.  We HAVE to support each other as women and mothers FIRST and the most important thing is to feel good about what your BFing relationship was with your baby--even if it was only 3 days, that is 3 days to feel great about.  And I'm serious--the colostrum has HUGE health benefits for the baby and if that's what you can give them, you should feel good about it even if it's less than you might have wanted to give.

(((HUGS)))  And good luck Mamas!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 10:39pm
I do plan on BF this time around. The first two times didn't work out for me because both of my boys were tongue tied, my 2nd had severe tongue tie, and still receives OT for it, even after he had his frenulum clipped. It's almost a certainty that his baby will have a tongue tie as well, I will be admit that they clip it while in the hospital, and I think that will give our chances at successfully BF a lot better.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 11:25pm

That's awesome Cheryl!  I plan on getting Julien's tongue tie(s) clipped if he has any . . . that was a major factor with Jamey's nursing that made things a LOT harder than they needed to be.  But no one caught the ties until he was older so c'est la vie at this point!!  But there's no reason I should go through it again this time, I know what to look for now and I'm planning on dealing with it ASAP.

Photobucket