12 week Prenatal Testing

iVillage Member
12 week Prenatal Testing
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 2:38pm

My doctor brought it up at my last visit, and since the 12 week testing period is coming up soon I was wondering who is doing 12 week testing? If so, what?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 3:05pm
My DH and I are the same way. We've talked about the "what-ifs" but haven't made any firm conclusions because I just don't think we can know for sure what we'll feel like until we get to that point. At 11 weeks now there is a lot more baby going on in there than I expected there would be (this is my 1st) so the idea of terminating for any reason gets harder and harder as the weeks pass. We shall see!

Image hosting by Photobucket

CL on

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 5:58pm
I had the NT scan with both of my previous pgs. This time, I have an appt with a genetic counselor on Monday to see if I can get the new blood test (materniT21) instead. It is a much more definitive test than the NT scan.

I agree that you should think about why you want the testing and what you would do with the information. You should also discuss it with your spouse/partner, to ensure you are on the same page. DH and I have discussed it, but we don't have a set plan for if the news is bad. I feel that you can only plan so far and that you won't know exactly how you will feel or decide until you are there. You may think one thing now, but when faced with the actual situation it may change. So, part of what DH and I discussed was flexibility.

Tiffa, 35

DH, 36

DD born 10/15/08, Baby #2 due 10/18/10

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 4:33pm
I go in tomorrow for the 12 week testing for the NT scan I believe it's called. I will be 13 weeks tomorrow. (My due date got bumped up to 10/31 but I still hang around this board since this is where I started hehe) Anyway, I am young as well and I'm sure my risks are low, but my insurance covers the testing so I wanted another chance to see the little baby in there :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 1:37pm
Hi Katja_D,
I am not sure I agree with you. My first was born at the IWK in Halifax which is the major hospital in the atlantic provinces (and a beautiful birth facility). Any children from the 4 atlantic provinces with problems are sent to this hospital. I remember questioning my doc on it and she said they don't do it unless there are other indicators. My second was born in fredericton and it was the same. My third will be born in charlottetown and it seems to be the same story. Perhaps this area sets its standards in accordance with the iwk? Perhaps they feel the maternal syrum screen covers the same diagnostics.

I agree with the rest of your comment (knowing what you will do with the info) and I think it is something everyone needs to consider when doing these tests. That is why I decline the maternal syrum screening because I wouldn't take any action other than educating myself on the results.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 12:18pm
I meant in regards to canadian subsidized medical acess
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 12:16pm

It has a lot to do about with what hospital your doctor is affiliated with,

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 9:36pm
I had it done with my first two, and am going to this time as well. We don't have any risk factors, but I like having the extra chance at seeing the baby. Our insurance has always covered it. Mine is scheduled for the 30th of April
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 8:22pm
We decided tonight that we were going to pass. We did it last time - I'm only 32 and we're both healthy with good history. We originally were going to do it because of DH's age and cancer history - but we've decided that it really isn't something we feel led to do. I wish I could just have the ultrasound!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 8:07pm
As a part of the canadian health care system I have never been offered a NT test. I am not sure why it just doesn't seem to be a standard test in the atlantic provinces. They do however suggest and encourage the 16 week maternal screen blood test but I have never taken it - with my age and low risk factors it doesn't seem worth the stress that everyone I know who has taken the test suffers.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 8:00pm
Since I'm 39 and DH is 55 I did ask my ob about the NT fold test at 12 weeks. He said unless I am planning on following up with an amnio (which I am not) that I shouldn't bother- that it was a $1000 test. I will be doing the blood tests, and if any of those come back positive, I'll rethink the other tests.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pages