Anyone struggling with Allergies/Cold?

iVillage Member
Anyone struggling with Allergies/Cold?
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 8:29am

I am struggling really bad with my allergies and or cold right now. I am really trying NOT to take anything but it is getting to the point where not only can I not breathe from baby getting big, but now I can't breathe from congestion.  

Anyone have any good remedies they've used to naturally cure congestion.....besides a netti pot.  I throw up everytime I use it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:11am

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have been using steam, lots of tea with lemon and a load of tissues. Just praying for a quick change of seasons so this doesn't last long!

Hang in there everyone else dealing with this stuff!!!!  My doc also told me mucinex was ok to take this far along and that it would break up a lot of the congestion...may have to give that a try!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 5:40pm
Yes!!! I have a horrible cold. Can't wait to breathe again! I haven't taken anything yet, but I might get to that point.

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 1:11pm
I just wanted to say that I feel your pain! My allergies have been kicking my butt, and I have been itchy and sneezy, but no congestion here. Last night, after being out at my son's football practice, I was itching from head to toe and completely miserable, so I broke down and took a Benadryl. Aside from that though, I usually just suffer through it. Hopefully this passes soon for all of us, because we have enough discomfort as it is without allergies/colds piled on top of it!

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 9:53am
I have good and bad days. I typically don't take much for it either - but I do try to use moist air (I live in a very dry climate) and I do prop up for sleeping in need be. I use saline most days, and always have. I second the honey - but I drink it in hot water with lemon.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 9:30am

I am sorry you are feeling so terrible. Putting heat on the chest and sinuses will help clear the congestion.Steam from a shower can help.  Eucalyptus oil is really helpful to put in a pot of boiling water and inhaling. You can also put the eucalyptus oil on the heat pack (or just a warm hot towel) to help, just make sure you don't use too much, This website might help if you are unsure about the oils uses http://www.livestrong.com/article/265262-eucalyptus-oil-in-pregnancy/. Pure honey and  large doses of antioxidants (blueberries, acai, dark chocolate, blackberries, raspberries, and raisins are just a few) are great for curing a cold. 

I would also try a humidifier at night.