feeling conflicted :/ (long) any input is wanted.

iVillage Member
feeling conflicted :/ (long) any input is wanted.
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 12:11am

Hi ya'll! I've been having major lower back pain with spasms (and siatic nerve pain down only my right side) After 6 long days of pain I finally went to the ER since the clinic I would normally go to was closed. After talking to the dr and vitals talken he said he could give me a morphine shot or do nothing.

He gave me some time to think about it and then BF came in and we talked too. In the end I gave in and got the shot in the tush. (OWIEEEE) it is almost 4 hrs later and the thing that hurts the worst is the injection site:smileysurprised: the rest is just minor 2 1/2-3 pain. The dr was very kind and explained that it was a cat B drug and on preg animals no probs but not tested on preggo humans.

The semi-conflictedness (even a word?)comes that I didn't want the heavy narcotics but could no longer deal with the pain. the drs are very concervative around hereand  kinda made me feel bad that it could harm the baby (bring down its potential IQ levels (don't get me wrong he was super nice) and its my 1st pregnancy in This state with these doctors. I had NO other problems when i was pregnant with my other 4 in fact i felt great after morning sickness was gone. This time around I am a mess but I have tried heat, ice, b ack braces, tylenol and multiple different stretches and even went to the pool.

Now aside from the chiropractor does any one  have  any suggestions that i did not try, that you have found usefull in pregnancy to avoid Narcotics? Also as a side note: I have 2 degenerative disks between L4-L5 and L5-S1. and 4 lively children :smileyvery-happy: And baby is moving very well, I thought the meds might make her sleepy but not so far crossing my fingers

any suggestions no matter how lame the may seem I may be willing to try. This is the second episode in less than a month the last back issue was the same but by using everything listed above EXCEPT the narcotics worked ok and went away in less than 4 days. This time around tomarrow will be 7 excruciating days :smileyfrustrated::smileysad:

TIA ~kim

href="http://lilypie.com/"> 

preview image

iVillage Member
I second the accupuncture and the chiropractor. I have a back injury that flares up when I'm pregnant and I'd be so owned without that relief.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
I have horrible sciatica too! So bad sometimes I cant sit, stand, lay, or walk, I just feel kind of stuck in between some weird positions!!! I HIGHLY recommend a chiropractor!!! I just sent my step grandfather to one for his horrible sciatic pain and it helped him a lot as well! If you've had any x-rays of your back, I recommend you bring them with you to show the chiro before he starts, if you decide to go. Most generally take x-rays, but wont if you are pregnant, so thats why I suggest bringing yours if you have some.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 12:30pm
I've done PT in the past the main issue I'm having is that I can't take Ibruprofen or Naproxen like I would normally and this is the first time I've seen a dr. about back pain while pregnant. I see my normal FP this friday and will ask his opinion he is very non medicational as well. Thanks for the reply and I think I will check on the prenatel massage...sounds like it could be relaxing :smileyhappy:
href="http://lilypie.com/"> 

preview image

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 8:59am

Hey! First off, try not to beat yourself up over it! Pregnancy is a stressful time, filled with lots of ups and downs, and defintiely a fair share of discomfort! I am in the same boat, pregnant with 4 very active kids, and I know that you have to take care of your kids and yourself, on top of caring for this baby too! We all do the best we can during pregnancy, and do what we can to get through it, and that sounds like exactly what you're doing!

As far as the back pain, I can relate to the sciatica and back pain, which is bad enough, but I can't imagine having degenerative discs on top of that! Have any of the doctors you've seen recommended any kind of physical therapy or anything to help with the pain? I know you said you've tried multiple stretches, but maybe a physical therapist would be able to give you some more that you haven't tried yet. Also, maybe a prenatal massage would help? I've heard of people who got a lot of relief from massage during pregnancy. I've also read about acupuncture being helpful, but have never tried it myself, and know that you would have to find a well-trained practitioner because certain points should be avoided during pregnancy.

Aside from that, I'm afraid I don't have too many other suggestions. But I hope that you find something helpful soon! Maybe some of the other ladies here will have some better tips :smileyhappy:

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!