First Hypnobabies class!!

iVillage Member
First Hypnobabies class!!
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:18am

It went really well and we're both (DH and I) really excited about it.  The class is 3 hours for 6 weeks, PLUS there's lots of homeplay.  And it's home"play" because it's not work.  :-)  There's communication building questions that we answer with each other nightly.  And he reads my scripts to me every other night, so DH is really involved and will learn the cues and everything too.  So we're in this together, which we both like.   (There are other ways to accomplish this, say for single mothers or for someone who's husband is away.)  DH reading to me as I get deeper relaxed is in addition to the Hypnobabies cd's that I use to train my mind as well.  There's also a positive affirmation cd that I listen to daily, at any time, while driving or cleaning or whatever that just gives me positive thoughts about my body, my pregnancy and the birth.  It's like training for any big event.  I have to practice to be successful. 

The first class was largely showing us how powerful our minds really are.  She went through a scenario involving visualizing a lemon and I"m telling you, I couldn't smell lemon, but my mouth watered and my sinuses actually opened. Bonus!  Now I can help my sinuses get unclogged a little.  :-)  We talked about all the ways our emotions affect us physically, heart rate, red face, sweaty palms, tears...   The whole class itself was really relaxing and empowering at the same time.  She did spend some time explaining all the training she went through as well to become an instructor.  She's also a doula, lactation consultant and some more stuff too.  She's been through several successful hypnobabies births as have other doulas in her group. 

Next week will be nutrition and exercise...I think she said next week...as well as  learning some more of the hypno-anesthesia techniques.  The hypno-anesthesia techniques are based on Dr. Gerald Klein's techniques and is used for more than just having babies.  Anyway, it's also an actual birth class, so they go over the stuff that would be covered in other birthing classes too along the way.  We talked about our uterues and the muscles and what they do and how they work together.  We'll go over the perineal exercises or massage or whatever it's called.  :-)  I don't have my book with me...this is just from memory. lol  I'm probably leaving out some cool stuff.  They don't guarantee a pain free birth, I think it's like 70% report mostly pressure, tightening or mild cramping sensations.  10% report being comfortable until transition and that was manageable.  But all of them report that the relaxation and fear clearing were invaluable to them. (I looked that up on the website because I couldn't remember the quote from the book.)   In class we learn to break the fear-tension-pain cycle, where you have fear, which causes you to tense more, which cause more pain...pain causes more fear, causes tension...and so on.  OH.  And since it's Eye's Wide Open Hypnosis, I won't be confined to the bed.  I can walk and move around and get in any position I need to make myself more comfortable and help labor progress. 

Anyway.  I'm super excited and feeling so much better since I decided I was more afraid of a needle in my spine.  lol

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 12:38pm

So so so glad to have the center position now!  I got to where about 15-20 minutes into the deepening session or the one DH does, my legs and arms just felt like they were going to explode and I had to turn my switch on, move, then back off.  Doing the deepening session on the yoga ball has helped too. 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 11:43am

I hated to start a totally new thread, so I just thought I'd add to this. 

Super interesting class on nutrition and exercise.  There was so much covered and I can't remember it all right now, but I have charts on the fridge for food tracking and excercise charts and I'm sitting on my birth/yoga ball instead of my desk chair.  lol  So, I knew to eat 75-80 g of protein, but I've gotten lax in that. I'm getting back on tracking it though because apparently...that can cause me to swell more.  Tooootally makes sense because my ankles have gotten worse lately.  2 eggs a day because they strengthen the amniotic sack.  And lots of calcium for...blood volume or to help prevent preterm labor or something.  I can't remember what calcium was for, just remember I need it.  ha!  We went over things baby needs, but the main thing was baby will take what she needs, mom will suffer...which can cause issues with during birth and afterwards.  It was just interesting to see how different types of food affect certain aspects of pregnancy.

Exercises are a squat, sitting with soles of feet together and pelvic rocks.  Well, and Kegels and later perineum massage.  But they're for preparing mom for labor...helping muscles stretch, helping pelivic bones do what they do and also getting baby in the proper postion for birth.  Not only do Kegels strengthen the muscles, but they also effect how the baby's head is positioned.  Very cool class.  Super glad I'm taking this.  :-)

As far as the hypno-anesthesia part, we learned the "Eyes-Wide Open" technique. This allows the hypno-mom to be able to move around and interact and such during the birthing time.   Pretty cool stuff.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 2:50pm

Ah. Yeah.  I bet you're right though.  Your doula has probably seen lots of things and will know how to navigate through some it and with her and your DH there, you'll be able to stay focused.  Even if I give my doc the info, there could still be one of the other 5 doctors that are there for mine.  So, if she doesn't pass along the info and she's not the one on call, it won't matter too much.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 2:40pm

I found out that my doctor will not be delivering my baby which sucks. I go to a high risk doctor and they only do their scheduled c-sections. All other births, will have which ever doctor is at the hospital at the time. There are 12 of them and I won't get to meet anyone before hand so I have no idea on their knowledge of hypnobirthing. I will be doing a birth plan and hopefully my wishes will be granted. I think if I am focused and listening to my CDs, it won't matter if they are not knowledgeable. My hubby and doula will be there for support.

I get it about the driving now. :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 2:30pm

Even if he isn't able to participate you can still do it.  I don't know exactly what the alternative is, but the website probably has more info on it.  It does say that single mothers and women who's partners aren't able to participate can still do it. Our instructor just said if we find it hard to get our schedules to align for our partners to do it, just see her.  There are ways.  And some women have a birth partner...not their spouse.S/O or the father....like a friend, sister, mother...whoever it may be. 

It's pretty amazing watching the you tube videos.  It's very relaxing and I can tell I'm getting better at it each day.  I've been doing the intro CD she gave me 2 weeks ago, then class officially started Saturday.  There's a lady in my class who's due in Sept. So you've still got time to get started.  It's based on relaxation and calming, this just might help you meet your goal.  Our instructor said it's not uncommon for the hypno-mom to get to the hospital and they think she's crazy and want to send her home because she's just too calm, until they check and she's 8cm dialated or so. 

I'm enjoying learning about it all and I hope to carry the techniques with me for other things in life. 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 2:19pm

I should have specified the driving thing.  The affimations is the only one we can listen to while driving or cleaning or doing whatever.  The other cds are all hynotic suggestions and we can't listen to those at all while doing anything.  They all say at the beginning not to listen to them while driving or doing anything that requires our attention.  The affirmations CD a 30 min CD full of positive statements like "I love my pregnant body."  "I am confident and strong."  "I make informed decisions about my pregnancy."  Things like that.  It's to help get rid of some negative ideas about pregnancy and labor.

I always said I was getting an epidural too, but the more I started to read and learn...I just decided maybe it wasn't the best option for me.  I'm pretty wimpy myself!  :-)  But I really feel like this class will give me the extra boost of knowledge and skills to be able to handle it. 

I'm a little nervous about how my doctor will react.  My instructor is going to give me some information to give to her, in case she's not familiar with it.  I'm hoping she is though.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:47pm
riverboatwed wrote:

I think some doctors and nurses really don't know too about it so that could be a barrier. 

That is my main concern with hypnobirthing as well. I think if I am relaxed and comfortable then I won't really care what they think and they won't have many concerns re pain management and it shouldn't be much different then my other experiences. In my experience they tend to let you do whatever works for you and not force any pain management options.

Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:41pm
Glad to hear this! I still haven't ordered my cd's yet (wanted to be home when they arrived and other procrastinator reasons) but I really need to show this to DH to find out if he would be willing to be involved... might not be much good if he isn't willing to participate.

I really need this to help me with the lead up to transition - I have a hard time staying relaxed while dialating and thus wear myself out. That is my real goal this time, to learn how to stay relaxed in the lead up so that I have the energy to do the real hard work!
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:13pm

I am lurking from the Oct EC board.

I am doing the Morgan Method for Hypnobirthing. I think it is similar to Hypnobabies. I have been through 3 classes so far and it does seem similar. We did the lemon exercise also. I find that this class (concept) is changing my way of thinking about labor and birth. I am such a wimp when it comes to pain and I always said that I wanted the epidural the minute I arrive at the hospital. I am now thinking that I may not need it. I am not ruling it out as an option but I am hoping the hypnobirthing techniques will work. On the CDs they gave us, it says "don't drive" and I noticed you mentioned driving with yours. I find that I get so relaxed that I either fall asleep or am deep in relaxation. I don't think I would want to drive.

I am glad others are doing hypnobirthing because I think everyone should be doing it (in my opinion). I think some doctors and nurses really don't know too about it so that could be a barrier. We hired a doula who is our normal birthing class instructor who is also hypnobirthing certified. It will be good to have her in our corner if a doctor or nurse are clueless.

Good luck!

Photobucket