GBS Swab and now pain when urinating?

iVillage Member
GBS Swab and now pain when urinating?
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 10:39am

I'm assuming this is from the swab, but I wanted to see if anyone has had this just in case.  I had the swab yesterday and after that when I pee, it hurts.  It feels like a cut or something. I don't really know how to describe it.  But anyway, it did it most everytime yesterday and started easing toward the night.  This morning, I was fine...or so I thought.  So the next time I went, I wasn't expecting any pain and then blamo!  And then the next time I went, no pain.  So...who knows.  I really think it's somehow related to the GBS swab, but wanted to see what ya'll thought and if anyone experienced something that too.  If not...and it continues, I'll call the office and see what they think. 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 10:26am

I guess all the extra blood flow makes the area extra sensitive.  I was thinking it would feel similar to a pap smear and wasn't really stressing it.  And yeeeeeah, it was a little more sandpaper like than cotton ball like. 

After yesterday mornings pain, I didn't have another one all day.  Everytime I went to the bathroom, I'd wait for it to happen...and it didn't.  So, I guess it was a scratch of some sort that healed.  It didn't do it again, so I don't know.  I know I was drinking a whole lot of water to keep things flowing in case it was a UTI starting or something.  But, I'm all good now. Weird.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 1:30am
I'm inclined to think it's a cut too that urine is irritating. I had my swab today and it felt like sandpaper! I could see how you could have some very small tears that are sensitive.

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 10:47pm
Maybe try to put a bit of neosporin or diaper cream on it? Perhaps the swab itself somehow tore you a bit and the urine is irritating it. If that does not help, call the dr for sure.

Photobucket