I'm so worried!! Unsafe herbs in my ginger tea!

iVillage Member
I'm so worried!! Unsafe herbs in my ginger tea!
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 6:43pm

I'm so freaking out right now.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mmm... that sounds nice. I may try that.

I called the doctor's office this morning to be on the safe side and the nurse said that the amount in the tea should not be enough to harm the baby. Thank goodness!!
iVillage Member

The quantities of lemon grass in food is safe. It is taking the herbs in huge quatities, such as supplements, that will cause all of these side effect. I would definatly stop drinking the tea, but if you have some food with lemon grass in it, you will be ok. I like grating fresh ginger, about a teaspoon if I were to measure it,

iVillage Member
Thanks. My DH was doing some research on the specific brand of tea and found that the amounts in it probably aren't a threat, but I still will not use it again. It also has lemongrass in it and apparently that is an herb that can cause your period to start and miscarriage to start too. :( I had no idea. I love Vietnamese foods with lemongrass, so I guess I won't be having any of that either during pregnancy.
iVillage Member
(((HUGS))) Try to take a deep breath and relax. That is really tricky! Stop using the tea and try finding another brand - perhaps you can find a recipe for using fresh ginger to make tea.
It seems to me from what i just read that licorice root wont hurt the developing baby however it can cause the body to go into labour and that would cause a mc. Like you said give your doc a call this morning and i am sure they will help you.
Take care and best of luck.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!