Itching

iVillage Member
Itching
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 7:55pm

I didn't want to ask my OB about this, but I had an itching attack right when she walked in. My entire body has been itching like crazy this past week and you can see red blood vessels all over my body when it happens. My OB said it might be Obstetric Colitius, which can cause still birth, and wanted to play it safe so I got the blood test for it. I get the resault back from that at my next appointment, along with the resault of that lovely GBS test, so I will keep everyone posted.The itching seem to let up when I take benedryl so I am not too worried about it. Is anyone else's body itching like mad because of the changing weather? 

iVillage Member
In reply to: elwing_6284
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 1:12pm

I am doing better with the itching but am still scratching until the area bleeds, I have not self control when it comes to scratching. So, I look like I have bug bites all over my belly and hands since those are the main spots that itch.I am guessing they will get the resaults back soon so I am waiting on a phone call. My OB office is pretty good about calling with resaults.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 9:00am
How is the itching today, Katie?

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 7:28am

hi

i have colestasis and the itching is awful. i have been itching now since about week 29,30.  my itching is not just located to the hands and feet (this is most comon) mine is all over. even down to having itching up my nose and in my ears.

i was given 2 blood tests to start with. one was to check my LFTS (liver function test) and this came back raised. im from the UK and here they like the result to be below 40. mine was 50 so was given the bile acid test. the bile acid test takes a week to come back. i was given an appointment for a weeks time to go back and discuss the results.

i went for the appointment a week later and was given another blood test.  once again LFTS and bile acids.  the doctor said my bile acid results from the week before were normal, but this is not uncomon. it can take a few weeks from the onset of itching for the bile acids to start raising.  the LFTS came back within the hour and this had raised again, now they were at 74. so they had jumped over 20 within a week. i was given a scan to check baby is happy and some antihistomines <<sorry cant spell lol.  these did sod all

i was told i would need regular monitoring and to be hooked upto a fetal heart beat machine twice a week.  well i went back the week later and my bloods had raised again from 74 to 96 and my bile acid results had started to raise.  i was started off on some other treatment to bring the bile acid down and reduce the itching.  at my last appointment they had startd to drop slightly so i guess they are working.   although i am still itching. night time is worse and i have been known to have to go to bed in socks to stop myself itching while asleep.

i am 35 weeks tomorrow and have an appointment with my consultant next wed to discuss my induction. as like you said it is linked to still birth. i should be induced between 37-38 weeks.   ohh and i get to have another scan so thats good. this will be scan number 8.

sorry for the long reply. keep me posted on how you get on Smile