Painful BH contraction and menstrual- like heavy feeling

iVillage Member
Painful BH contraction and menstrual- like heavy feeling
Thu, 07-19-2012 - 10:03am

I've been having frequent BH contractions over the last few days, but I know they can be more frequent in subsequent pregnancies than in your first.  I was a little concerned but not overly concerned and had an appointment coming up next Friday anyway for an u/s.  This morning I had my first painful BH contraction.  Truly, it felt like the beginning of true labor contractions that I had with my first pregnancy.  I haven't had it since, but still called the doctor and have menstrual like heaviness in my abdomen.  Please keep your fingers crossed for me.  Still waiting to hear from the OB nurse on when to come in today. 

Maybe they'll just do my u/s a week earlier and hopefully all will be fine.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member

Is it possible that you are dehydrated?  I always get a lot more BH and more powerful "heavy" feeling ones when I am dehydrated.  It helps to continually chug water for days (for me), and constantly in general to prevent this happening.  I actually use one of those camelbak water bladder that holds like 2 liters at a time because if I have to get one glass at a time I never remember to drink enough.  Since I only have to fill up the bladder like 1-2 times a day and can drink it continuously when I'm watching TV or on the computer it really helps to stay hydrated.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Okay just read the whole thread--sorry about the irritable uterus but it sounds like trying to rest and stay as hydrated as possible might still help!  If you have an active life try out the camelbak!  You could just wear it on your back all the time and have water right there at your fingertips.  For me that makes all the difference!  I hope you ladies bake your babies until they are just right!

I know some women just gestate faster (and some slower).  My friend's SIL just had her second baby--he was 7.5 lbs at 36 weeks.  Her daughter was almost the same weight at 38 weeks.  I saw another friend of mine recently--similar situation--her first two sons were average-to-big and both born at 37 weeks.  Her most recent son baked until 39 weeks.  

Meanwhile another friend was forced to be induced with her first son at 41.5 weeks and he was not even 7 lbs and had severe lung isses and continues to have a serious of physical and developmental issues.  Her daughter baked until 42 weeks and was totally fine but obviously she is a longer gestator!  

Remember 41 weeks+1 day is the TRUE average and it's only average!  Dr. Bradley tells a story in his book of a lady who legitimately was pregnant for 12 months (she used fertility treatments to get pregnant and was monitored the entire time so it was really 12 months).  Baby was a healthy and happy 7.5 lbs.   Nowadays "they" would never let you be pregnant that long but if you ask around everyone has stories of people in our Mom's generation who had babies over a month late and sometimes two!  On my homebirth board a lady recently had a successful homebirth of her 12.5 lbs(!) son at 46 weeks!!   

Photobucket
iVillage Member
That is what the OB recommended. Chug water. I wasn't really dehydrated, but she said I could have fallen behind on water consumption. I'm feeling a bit better, the BH aren't as extreme now, but still get them sporadically throughout the day. At least they don't seem as "regular" and "frequent". I also have found that I can't stand or sometimes even sit for more than 10-15 minutes at a time without getting that heavy feeling down low with contractions. I have to lay down to feel better. So, I have to lay down to watch TV. Sitting at the computer too long prompts the BH to begin.
iVillage Member
Wow! That's incredible. I had no idea that they could "bake" that long. Interesting.
iVillage Member
I've started making sure I take a nap every afternoon and that helps tons! Even if it's just laying down for an hour and sleeping for half an hour. I'm hoping that this continues to keep the irritable uterus at bay!
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Oh, that's nice. It's been difficult for me with summer here and my DD (3, almost 4) not in school or summer camps. She starts school again August 15, so I'll be taking advantage of more free time then. woohoo!!!