short term disability question

iVillage Member
short term disability question
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 4:33pm

So, most likely I will have to return to work after Lily's arrival.  (Moment of panic)  Okay.  So, I've got the forms and such for short term disability so I will have some income and I'll use some paid time off as well.  My question is... STD will only pay until the doctor releases me.  Which sucks.  What if she releases me at like 4 weeks or less?  How does that work?  The form for the doctor to fill out says "Expected return to work date"   If she puts, for example, Dec 21 then would that just be it or if something comes up could it be adjusted?  I mean, how's she going to know when she is going to release me and what's the typical "realease" time for vaginal delivery? 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 4:56pm

Okay.  From what I gather, nothing happens until the birth and then my doc would have to fill out the papers and then I'd send them in. But, I guess STD just keeps sending checks until they get the doctors release forms?  Our max STD is 13 weeks.  I'm sure I won't be able to that...unless something goes wrong.  I'll try to remember to ask my doctor at the next visit what her usual policy is.  I just don't really understand how it all works together I guess. 

Pregnancy%20ticker