Spotting Question?

iVillage Member
Spotting Question?
Thu, 03-29-2012 - 10:08pm
So I just went to the bathroom and wiped and there was some blood on the toilet paper, it was bright red and it wasn't much but I am freaked out. I haven't had any bleeding since implantation. I am not having any cramps but I am freaking out. Has anyone else experienced this?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 8:51am
I had the sa.e thing a couple weeks ago (ar around 5 weeks) my doctor did an ultrasound and saw blood around the placenta... She said she thought it was just from the baby attaching deeper into my uterus... I went back the next week for another ultrasound and all the blood was gone. Maybe its just the same thing happening to you. How far along are you?

Try to not stress!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 10:27am
I had this happen with DS around 6 weeks, they thought it was just from him implanting deeper as PP has said. Also if you just had sex, it could just be that sex irritated your cervix.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 10:35am
I am 5 weeks 2 days now. I am trying not to stress as I am still spotting and my dr is going to try and get me in today for an emergency ultrasound. I am not cramping or passing any clots or tissues so that's hopeful.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 1:00pm
Keep us updated!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 1:51pm
Well I had my ultrasound and there is no pregnancy outside of the uterus and there is no reason for the bleeding. She looked for a gestational sac and found a little spot but couldn't be sure that was it. I could be a day or 2 off on my calculations so she said that would make a huge difference and even at 5 weeks it still may be to early to see it. I have an appointment with my dr at 5 today so I will see if he wants to order Betas for me and I will be going back in 7 to 10 days for another US. I guess I just have to wait it out. What do you ladies think?
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 3:37pm
I'm a Nurse Practitioner student and I am actually currently writing a paper on first-trimester bleeding! There has been a lot of research about bleeding in the first trimester but unfortunately the majority of the research hasn't differentiated between types of bleeding which is part of why I think there is still a lot of mystery surrounding how concerned you should be about it. Fortunately, there have been a few studies in the last few years of good size that have set out to evaluate types of bleeding in the first-trimester. One study done in conjunction with the NIH in 2009 showed that "Heavy bleeding in the first trimester, particularly when accompanied by pain, is associated with higher risk of miscarriage. Spotting and light episodes are not, especially if only lasting 1–2 days."

Another interesting article I came across when doing research for this paper was a case presentation written by a doctor who had a patient present with spotting and no pain. Her ultrasound was normal but her HCG levels dropped 3 consecutive days in a row at which point he counseled her about impending miscarriage. The patient decided to choose "wait and see" and sure enough, went on to have a healthy full-term pregnancy without complications.

So it's totally normal to be concerned about it but the odds are in your favor here and you're doing the right thing by following up with your doctor. Also remember that it's always your right to choose "wait and see" - especially good to consider when the clinical picture is unclear and the provider doesn't think that there is an emergent risk to your health going on.

Image hosting by Photobucket

CL on

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 7:40pm
I had a positive digital pregnancy test last night and when I went to the doctor at 5pm it was negative. I was just in shock he said I must have miscarried. Even if I did would the HCG still not show 12 hours later? I have no pregnancy tests but I read you can use an OPK and I did and it was a blazing positive so I don't really know what's going on right now. I only bled a little and I had no clots or tissue so when will I pass this?
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-31-2012 - 9:33pm
Did the dr do blood test or urine?
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-31-2012 - 9:57pm

I had a MC at 7 weeks 2 days over a year ago and you know when you have had a MC.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-01-2012 - 3:46pm
They did a urine test on Friday and it was negative. I never have had a blood test yet.

Pages