Stretching belly feels bruised

iVillage Member
Stretching belly feels bruised
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 4:28pm

So...my belly around the bottom, like under my belly button, hurts.  It feel like it's bruised and DH says (since I can't see it!) that looks bruised, but I think it's stretch marks.  The inside is okay.  It's just the outside.  Rubbing it hurts.  Putting something on hurts.  Accidentally running into the door or something hurts.  Blech.  Anybody got any suggestions for how to ease this?  I assume it's just my skin being stretched and hurting.  DH rubbed some lotion on me hoping that would help.  And it felt good and hurt all at once.  lol 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 4:09pm

She said to be completely covered from neck down, except hands for 30 minutes.  I guess I could go to the rec center here and sit in the pool for 30 minutes.  lol  DH said we did that last night but the water was only up to here, pointing to my belly.  She said no that wasn't really enough.  But yeah...my back did feel better.  DH stayed in there with me the whole time pouring water over my belly.  Since I was mainly trying to get the soreness out of the area under my belly button. I just figured I'd stay in the tub, he'd go watch tv or whatever.  But nope.  He stayed in there and did that.  He was being sweet.  And Lily was either enjoying the water sounds hitting my belly or something or she hated, because she was super squirmy!  It was so funny.  I'm glad he stayed, because yeah...getting out of the tub is reeeally hard!  lol  I was like, I think I'm just stuck here! 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 3:58pm

I can totally handle pap smears and internal checks, but I hate that stupid GBS.  I am so glad it's over.  I would gladly lend you my enormous tub if you were near by!  I never had much luck with swelling reduction while sitting in it, but it sure does help my hips and back feel better.  Until I get out.  ugh!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 3:18pm

I just got back from the doc.  BP is good and everything is fine.  Did the GBS. Yuck.  She gave me the option of  the cervical check.  I opted out since it doesn't really mean anything one way or another and this way I won't have the potential cramping while handing out candy to the cute little spooks that come by.

She wasn't concerned about my swelling, but she did suggest getting in water for 30 minutes and emerse everything except my head and hands.  She said the buoyancy of the water would cause the water I'd retained to float and lift up.  She said I could get rid of like 2 ounces that way.  But my tub isn't big enough.  :-(  Oh well.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 12:31pm

I LOVE to soak in the tub - but it is a time suck and our tub is so huge that I feel guilty for sort of wasting all of the water...

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 11:37am

I soaked in an epsom salt bath.  It helped for a while.  My puffiness is down some and the soreness was out of my stomach.  It's back today, but not as bad as before.  Hmmm....a bath everyday?? If only I had time.  :)

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 4:31pm
I also feel like this from time to time, but I think for me it's mostly inside that is feeling that way. Like the uterine wall from so much stretching. It feels bruised and achy sometimes. I don't know if I'm correct, but I can imagine that both the surrounding skin and uterine wall can get irritated from all the stretching. I really don't have any suggestions, but totally sympathize!!
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 10:28am

Ya know, it kind of does have this little pouchy thing underneath.  I was noticing it yesterday.  Hmmm...interesting.  And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were water retention.  My ankles and feet certainly have it.  And when DH rubbed lotion on my belly, it felt like it helped, but I wasn't sure if it was the lotion or the rubbing, even though it was really tender.  He had to be extra gentle.  But it doesn't hurt from the inside.  When she moves in that area, it actually feels good, like mini massage from the inside.  I think boy, I wish she'd keep doing that.  lol  Which seems backwards.  It seems like it should hurt, but it doesn't. 

Thanks ya'll!  I may ask tomorrow at my check up and see what the doctor thinks it is.  I also have my GBS test tomorrow too....blech! 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 7:26am

if it feels a little hard like chunky almost and hangs a little lower than your actual uterus belly it could be water retention. I have a small pooch below my belly that feels like its bruised and sometimes it feels warm to the touch but very tender. Def different from the rest of my belly. My dr said all i can do is try to massage the extra water out to the sides or to get a sheet or something that is firm but not binding and wrap in around my lower belly to try to either push the water out or keep more from accumulating. Kinda like wearing support hoses to help with retaining too much fluid in you ankles . OR you could have just bruised it! lol either way sry you in pain just remember it'll be done soon! hope that helps!

href="http://lilypie.com/"> 

preview image

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 5:42pm

You might have bruised it, darlin!  These bellies are so stretched out and the place that you're talking about is usually the brunt of my belly related bumps! I don't normally bruise very easily, but my belly has taken it's fair share of shots in the last few weeks. I have a bruise on my lower belly that looks pretty dumb from unloading the dishwasher. 

If I were you, I'd take a warm bath with some mineral salts or epsom salt  to ease the tension.  It's probably really tender from you being tense around your injury, also.  I actually can hardly stand to have anything touching my belly right now.  At night, not matter how cold I am, I yank my shirt up over my belly - irritation is the name of the game!