Things that are helping my back pain...

iVillage Member
Things that are helping my back pain...
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 10:30am

My back has been hurting soooo bad.  I see the chiropractor, but lets face it, there's only so much he can do.  Apparently, I've a good bit of inflammation too.  That's not helping.  Anyway... Pelvic rocks have been a life saver!  I'm talking instant relieve that lasts a while.  Oh. my. goodness!  So glad I learned about these things.  Here's a link in case someone else needs to know what they are.  http://www.birthingnaturally.net/exercise/preg/pelvicrock.html  Doing some other stretches helps too, but this one is the one that fixes it imediately.

A second thing is, I swapped my office chair for my birth/stability/exercise ball.  So much less pressure on back. 

Anyway, thought I'd pass that along in case anyone else is having this. I'm almost in tears at times if I sit too long or stand too long.  I made the kids breakfast burritos for the week last night and after doing that, my back was terrible!  I decided to call them Back Breaker Burritos.  :-) 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 9:19am

Cool.  Thanks!  I may check with my chiropractor and see if he thinks this will help the area of my back too.  He gave me some exercises and I told him about the others I was doing and really liked those for me too.  So, maybe this will be good too and I can get by with minimal pain as I continue to grow.  I mean, I realize I'm going to have some discomfort, but being able to manage it and stop the worst before it starts has been really nice.  I've slept so much better the last 3 nights and I firmly believe it's due to the stretching and pelvic rocks just before bed....well, and also doing them throughout the day.  But I make sure and do at least the pelvic rocks at bed time. 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 5:33pm
It took me a while to find a site with pictures to explain the exercise. Good if you feel pain / numbness in your legs commonly associated with Sciatica. The pictures start about halfway down the page.

http://www.kitchener-waterloo-chiropractor.com/exercises_for_sciatic_nerve.html
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 11:16pm
Yeah, putting baby in the right position is another benefit. Also, sitting on the birthing ball will too because of gravity. I know Lily sure does move when I do them.

What's flossing the nerve?
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 10:26pm
Pelvic rock is a lifesaver! With my first I had awful Sciatica (wasn't able to walk for days) - that exercise plus 'flossing the nerve' were the only two things the physiotherapist recommended and they work wonders. Whenever I have the teeniest flare up I do a few reps and then everything is back to normal.

I seem to remember that the pelvic rock is also good for getting the baby into the proper birthing position bc gravity will cause the baby to disengage and roll heavy side down (ie bum and back).
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!