Timeline of a Breastfed Baby

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Timeline of a Breastfed Baby
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 10:04pm

I BF my DD for 19 months, so I feel confident in my knowledge. BUT I found this blog post very informational and a good memory refresher! Check it out! :smileyhappy:

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 2:36pm

Awesome, thank for sharing!   

I think a lot of Moms are definitely unprepared for the amount of time a new baby will spend nursing.  It literally is usually every 1.5 hours for a lot of babies--"every 2 hours", remember, is the distance from the BEGINNING of one feed to the BEGINNING of the next and some babies will nurse for 45 mins--so it literally feels like you are CONSTANTLY nursing--sometimes around the clock for the first 6-12 weeks.  

But then it magically does get easer.  All of a sudden you'll be worried because your baby who used to nurse for 45 mins per feed suddenly seems "done" after 5-10.  But they just get really good at it and really efficient.  And by the time they are 3 months old the feedings have usually stretched out (a bit)--maybe partly due to how much faster they are--it really FEELS like 2 hours between instead of just an hour.  

Also a lot of new babies will "cluster feed"--especially in the evening.  They will want to nurse for hours and hours straight, going from one breast to the other and back again--often accompanied by fussing/whining/crying . . . this is NORMAL and sometimes results in a longer stretch of sleep when they finally decide they are done for the night.  This cluster-feeding pattern has a lot of benefits for the little baby and the Mom--it helps to stimulate the milk supply--it helps the baby get a lot of fatty hind-milk, and it can help them sleep a longer stretch like I said.  

But the FEELING--well MY feeling as a new Mom--I wondered if there was something wrong--if I was doing something wrong--if my milk wasn't good enough.  AND I just plain was exhausted, my nipples felt like they would fall off.  Sometimes I wanted to throw my baby across the room I was so sick of him being attached to me for hours at a time!  But we got through it.  After the first couple months it got a LOT better and slowed WAY down.  Now he's still nursing at 20 months so obviously nursing became a really special part of our relationship.  

But those early days are HARD and having the support of other Moms who have been there is so important. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 7:44pm

I bookmarked this to look at later when I get worried about things. Thanks for sharing!