Weight gain during pregnancy

iVillage Member
Weight gain during pregnancy
Sun, 04-15-2012 - 12:11pm
I am so nervous this time around about weight gain. My last pregnancy, I gained over 50 lbs! At one point, I gained 14 lbs in 2 weeks. I lost it all very quickly and at 2 months PP I was back in pre pregnancy clothes and had even lost an additional 10 lbs. Now, I'm about at the same weight I was when I got pregnant with DD. I am so scared of gaining that much weight this time around. I am trying to get to the gym a couple times a week at least but I am just always hungry and always tired! I eat better this time around too so maybe I won't gain so much.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-15-2012 - 1:03pm
Both my pregnancies were average weight gain - first was 25 and second was 17 at my last weigh in. I am overweight to start so i always go in with a firm mindset to be very careful what i eat because i can't shed the regular pounds let alone the stubborn baby stuff! My trick the first time was to make sure to have lots of healthy snacks on hand (trail mix, raisins, dried apricots). I ate that stuff by the bucket load but it was high fibre (no bowel problems for me) and satisfied my sweet and crunchy tooth quite well. I still had the ocasional indulgence but it was resonable. Second pregnancy was full food aversion accompanied by nasty diarrahea whenever i did manage to find something to eat - not fun!
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-15-2012 - 3:46pm
Thanks..I'll keep that in mind! I've been trying to keep lots of fruit on hand and that has done the trick...I'll make sure not to buy the bad foods or go to the grocery store hungry! That's the worst.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-16-2012 - 12:32am
I gained at least 50 lbs with my last 3 pregnancys. So far I have not gained any weight. I always stay active. But when I'm hungry I have to eat! So far I have been eating very healthy and every 2-3 hrs. Sticking with apples,kiwis, yogurts, cottage cheese, and maybe a few crackers throughout the day. I have had problems drinking water lately. Trying to drink Gatorade and sparkling flavored water. For some reason I have a feeling I won't gain the 50 this time. Maybe it's just wishful thinking:)
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 1:36pm

With my first I gained 50, and I delivered 5 weeks early. My second was 35, and my 3rd was between 20 and 25. I am hoping to stay around that again. I am down 2 lbs right now just because I am eating pretty healthy. My main adversion is junk food oddly enough, so when I eat, I am eating real food.

Margret

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 2:37pm
It is strange that I have been worried about weight gain this time too. With my first pregnancy I was doing really well until I gained almost 10 pounds my last week! I think that I gained 26 total and lost it quickly but I am a few yrs older now and I am a junk food junkie. I am trying to make better choices but still head toward Taco Bell a little too often.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 2:00am

Why are you so worried about gaining weight if you lost it all so quick last time...did it cause other problems for you?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 6:49pm
I'm not thin, I'm average. And although most of it was water weight I think, I would like to enjoy this pregnancy and my last one I was unhappy, in a bad relationship, and now I am happily married and want to feel good and not be miserable this time around. Based on my weight and height they've told me weight gain of 20-30 would be normal. Yes I did lose it all and I will again but I don't think it's too much to want to enjoy it and feel ok!