25 week midwife appt!

iVillage Member
25 week midwife appt!
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 12:32am

My midwife came to our house on Tuesday for our 25 week appt (we were on vacation last week so we're a week late).  

I F'ing love her--she is only supposed to be here for an hour but it always feels like we are RUSHING if she actually can only stay an hour because we always get talking, hehe.

Anyway, she always asks me the same series of questions--any swelling, any dizziness, am I kegeling, am I taking my supplements, am I exercising/walking/staying active, am I getting enough rest/sleep, etc.  She records my weight as I tell it to her--and I'm finally gaining--up to 12 lbs now. 

She takes my blood pressure which is always wicked low--100/60 usually.  She measures my belly which is always super big--and feels it to try to determine the position of the baby.  He is measuring totally normal this week though (as oppose to 2 weeks ahead which is "normally normal") and that, combined with her feeling him, and the fact that I went overnight from peeing normal to peeing CONSTANTLY makes us think we have a head-down baby now!  It's funny this entire time he's been in the EXACT same position as my ODS.  Now he's head down, feet stretched across to my left side and butt way up in my right ribs, and hand down with his head.  That is literally the position my son was in until he was BORN and even had a hand/arm come out with his head.  Silly brother taking after his brother--LOL!

Oh yeah and I always have to pee on a strip to measure my PH, make sure I'm eating/drinking enough, not spilling protein or sugar .  . . and other stuff I don't know/care about, LOL.  Everything for me is always textbook, though, I'm lucky.

So yeah another great appt with my midwife.  I'm so glad he's already flipped, too, that's always a worry when you plan a homebirth.  I would still deliver at home with a frank breech but obviously I would be a lot more worried about tearing bad or having painful labor/crowning/delivery--head down is definitely a lot more ideal!!  ;-)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 7:28am
Great appointment! Glad that baby has turned. Hopefully he stays head down.

BTW, I'm always 100/60 too, even when not pregnant, and thought that was normal. Everyone has always told me it's good. :smileywink: I can pretty much tell the nurse my blood pressure before they even finish measuring. That's how constant it is.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 9:46am
Girl, I'll take your wicked low any day! I've been running 90/50. No bueno! Glad you had a great appointment.
Our girl is total frank breech right now. I've never had baby that was breech at this point - the others were both head down. It feels funky. I want her to turn.
Are you guys starting to gather up and plan your birth?

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 9:24pm
thesunshinekid wrote:
Girl, I'll take your wicked low any day! I've been running 90/50. No bueno! Glad you had a great appointment.
Our girl is total frank breech right now. I've never had baby that was breech at this point - the others were both head down. It feels funky. I want her to turn.
Are you guys starting to gather up and plan your birth?

Um I WISH we were "gathering up" anything--laundry, dishes, etc.  I am still very tired from being on vacation and haven't done anything.  I literally think we do not have a single scrap of clothing left for my DS to wear tomorrow, including not a single pair of underwear, pants, or a T shirt.  Siiiigh.  

But in terms of the birth our "plan" is pretty much done--ideally we'd have a similar birth as with my son.  I want to like clean my whole house before then (ideally more than once LOL), and we'll need to talk to my friend about borrowing her birth tub . . .  . there's a lot to do to get ready but at least I know what it is we need to do, if that makes sense.

Have you ever tried acupuncture?  It works really well to flip babies--though honestly it's still SUPER early and I'm sure your little one will flip soon enough!  But if you hit like 30 weeks it might be a good time to try the acupunture--once the little butt engages in your pelvis it's WAY HARDER to get them to flip.  If you've never tried it it's a lot different than you might expect--the needles are so thin that it's pretty much painless and in my experience, pretty relaxing!  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 10:18am
I haven't had acupuncture done in a while. I may talk to our chiro and see who he thinks could get the job done. It seriously feels so weird to have her using my cervix as a freaking trampoline.

I love that you said you'd "ideally" clean your house more than once. I cleaned our kitchen from top to bottom yesterday and DH came home and asked me if I was still pregnant. Let's just say, it's been a while!!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012