3rd doctors apt. (11w4d) - stressful!

iVillage Member
3rd doctors apt. (11w4d) - stressful!
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 6:31pm

Not so great of a visit - my bp is up but still normal (from 110 to 122 over 80), lost a pound since my last visit (no complaint from me), and no luck finding the baby's hb on Doppler! I feel so disheartened, I was really looking forward to hearing that sound. I know this is a questionable time to find it but this is not my first pg so my uterus should be high enough to make it easy to find.

I have had so many losses that I really needed to hear the hb to put my mind at ease. I keep thinking that it could be a blighted ovum but the placenta hasn't realized just like the one I had 2 yrs ago (mc at 12 wks but fetal death was at 5 wks), crazy thoughts I know but it's hard to shake. Dh tries to reassure me but he doesn't understand - I joked that I should make up a story and go to the er to get an ultrasound and now he thinks I've really lost it.

Worst part is it is 4 weeks to my next apt and still 8 weeks to my ultrasound, a long long long wait.

UPDATE: I wrote this before i had a chance to research fetal heartbeat via dopplers, I am much more at ease now. The root of the problem is that my doc made the mistake of telling me after my mc 2 yrs ago that he thought the pg was doomed when he couldn't find the hb via doppler at 10 wks (apparently he is very confident of his skills even when i told him he was crazy and you couldn't hear it that early) so that mc is plaguing me even more than it had been. I wish he had come in to the apt instead of sending his intern (i have no problem with interns but they don't have the same skill level as a full doc) .

I need to get my head back to a happy place instead of the worry place, i know i am being irrational!

Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 7:02pm
I don't think that you are crazy for wanting to fake a trip to the ER...I would have the same thought but think that my Dr would've done a quick u/s to put my mind at ease. I hope you find some way of getting through the next 8 weeks without worrying to much.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 8:06pm

Thanks! I am just stressed / freaking out - unfortunately my doc is just a gp so he doesn't have u/s equipment in his office:smileysad:. I don't think i get a referral to an OB till around 34 wks, until then it is just my gp.

After more research it seems that even at 12 weeks it isn't a sure thing... depends on a persons figure (and i have some extra padding right there), pelvis depth, baby's location in utero, and how active it is at the time

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 8:25pm

I know Canadian rules are so different than those in the USA. Do they have any exception if you are high risk? In the USA if you are at risk of M/Cing they will do more U/S (I only have hypothyriodism and I am consider a higher risk/ more monitoring pregnancy).

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 9:43pm

Ugh -- that would be very hard to wait through!

Image hosting by Photobucket

CL on

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 10:25pm
Free healthcare is awesome but it does have its drawbacks. Right now i wish i was able to pay for an u/s but the private clinics won't do it before 24 wks. I am not sure what it takes to be considered high risk aside from being a diabetic or carrying multiples- i have hypothyroidism and multiple mc and i am not considered high risk but i don't see a need for it... only a want for more u/s ;)
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 11:59am
((Hugs)) I know how important it is to hear that little heartbeat! You are still early on. Also, maybe the placenta is in front of the baby. Good luck! Could you talk to your doctor about your concerns and go back in in a week or two to try for another listen?
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 12:16pm

Hey there, it has nothing with being a canadian, it has to do with where you ive and where you OB practices.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 2:43pm
katja_d wrote:

MY DR never does doppler before 13 weeks because it is hard to find, not always sure to be there if dates are wrong and if person's uterus is tipped like mine it will be even more difficult to find.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 5:43pm

I had a similar apt today.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-19-2012 - 8:04am
I hope you get to hear it at your next appt!

Pages