Cool Kids go to L&D

iVillage Member
Cool Kids go to L&D
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 11:45am

After three days of nasty headaches, debilitating swelling, and decreased fetal movement.  My doc met me at L&D for some testing and monitoring. 

Short story - everything is fine.  I am just older (yeah.  All of 33.) this time and my body is not loving this pregnancy gig. 

Long Story - We checked in and got on the monitor.  The baby had the hiccups and I couldn't feel a thing!  The doc is blaming the lovely 7 pounds of water I'm toting around.  I had a severe headache that wasn't much abated by tylenol and my BP was a little elevated when I arrived.  All things that point towards pre ecclampsia.  After four hours, blood work and urinalysis, I was sent home with migraine meds and instructions to take it easier.  The doc said that whatever I've been doing is obviously more than my body wants to do.  I sort of laughed.  I have two kids, a house and a husband to care for.  YEAH, RIGHT.  I'll try.  Honestly, I will. 

The coolest part of my trip? They were testing a new maternal/fetal monitor for local news stations.  My belly was the only one NOT in actual labor, so they used it for a few news segments.  The monitor was REALLY STINKING COOL.  It's a wireless unit that monitors mother, baby, contractions, and other things that sounded really cool.  NO BELTS.  It was comfortable and I could get up and go to the bathroom without having to unplug.  They also gave me flowers for my substantial effort to stay in bed and let them photograph my stomach and the nurses using the monitor. 

I'm off to take it easy with my four year old in tow.  *insert psychotic laughter here*

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 9:04am
Well, my husband finally sees the need. He actually went out to the garden last night and this morning (we REALLY depend on our garden for produce during the summer and even late into winter) and took care of everything. He even told me that he would put up the squash tonight for winter when he gets home. Now, if I could convince my lille pige to nap!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 9:06pm
I'm glad it wasn't pre-e and that you "just have to take it easy." :smileyhappy:
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 9:03pm
Yeah, I love how the OBs say to "take it easy." Sure!! No problem!!! hahahaha.... Who are they kidding?

The wireless monitoring thing is cool. When I went in a few weeks ago, I had 3 year old in tow and was hooked up to the monitor and tethered to the table and couldn't get up. They left me in the room attached to the table, alone with fidgety 3 year old on the loose. That was almost mayhem. She almost cooked me on the table. She wanted to press the "red button" under the table (which heats and sterilizes it). I told her not to because it makes a scary sound. She doesn't like loud noises, so thankfully that worked. Next she was trying to answer the phones in the room when someone spoke over the intercom. The wireless machine would have been awesome at that moment. Then proceeded to undress herself. Not much I could do at that moment.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 1:32pm
Sorry to hear you had to go to L&D but that machine sounds awesome! Also the flowers are a nice gift.

There must be some magic 3rd trimester headache feeling crappy button our bodies push because that is exactly how I felt a few weeks ago as i entered the third trimester and I remember a few other ladies commenting on the similar stuff too.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 1:16pm

Oh man, I hope your migraine goes away soon. I know those stink. That is awesome that you were able to do the testing on that machine though. Plus it gives you a peace of mind when they tell you everything is ok. Do your best to take it easy!!