Failed NST but passed BPP at 38.5 weeks

iVillage Member
Failed NST but passed BPP at 38.5 weeks
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 1:28pm

First of all, yesterday I was having regular contractions that started off around 4pm and started out around 6 min. apart and lasted about 2 minutes.  They then went to 3-5 minutes apart for a couple of hours and then back to 6-8 minutes apart, never intensifying, but staying pretty closely spaced and regular for more than 5 hours total (I only kept track of them through 9pm and decided to go to bed and in that 5 hour period, I had 45 contractions).  I had to go pee constantly and every time I wiped, there was more and more mucus.  Then they just became sporadic.  So, I was sure today there would be some progress during my internal exam.  Nothing.  No dilation, no more effacement.  As if nothing had happened yesterday at all. The only thing they accomplished was keeping me awake most of the night concerned that it might be time soon.

Also, I had my NST and the little one was not moving enough, so my doctor ordered a BPP.  He did pass the BPP exam though the sonographer remarked that his respiration was slow.  Because he failed the NST this time and it's so close to go time, my doctor wants to see me again in two days (because he says he's "paranoid") for another one and to come in if I have any worries about his movement at all.  The sonographer seemed to think that labor was imminent for me.  She didn't go into detail, but said she had a hunch that today was "Labor Day."  At this point, I don't know what to think.  I'm so confused.  It was pretty clear when I was in labor with DD and not at all confusing.  This is all new to me.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 1:40pm

My labors have been so different.  With DS, I had been having contactions for WEEKS and had little dilation prior to a mandatory induction.  With DD, I had a few here and there before I finally jumped into labor at 39 weeks.  I'm having consistent contractions now and the doc thinks this baby will come quickly.  I think each baby can really be different!  Let us know how you are doing!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 3:26pm

Ughh that is frustrating. I agree that they can all be different as all of mine were. I have never had to have an NST or any tests though, but KUP on your next appt if you make it that far!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 8:42pm
Yes, it makes me wonder if labor will be more difficult too. Hopefully not. We shall soon see!