Had my last appt with my family doc and I miss him already!

iVillage Member
Had my last appt with my family doc and I miss him already!
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 8:13am

My family gp follows all his low risk pregnancies up to 32 weeks at which point he transfers them to the OB clinic in town (an hour away from my house). I had my last appointment on Monday and he gave me instructions for after the babies birth (when to book the first appt), wished me well, and has forwarded my paperwork to the OB clinic. He asked me if i had a preferred OB (which I don't) and I asked for whoever is available to do appts on either Monday or Thursday mornings so that I don't have to drag my 3 yr old with me and can be home when my daughter gets home from school. No problem, he said he would forward my request.

I got a call Tuesday morning I believe from the grumpiest and least helpful secretary ever who started in with the angriest tone asking who I wanted to see (I pleasantly explained my circumstances and request) and then told me I can't guarantee that. I asked if it was possible to switch between the OB's to accomodate my schedule (whatever OB is on call does the delivery unless you need a scheduled section) and she got even more indignant! She grumpily said I will just have to bring my 3 yr old with me. Ya right, sounds like a great idea for a women to come in to such an involved appt on her own with a 3 yr old to try to keep in check and happy while trying to pay attention not to mention keep her coralled while they do the physical exams - wth is this lady thinking!!!! Anyway I managed to keep my cool and asked if I could book all of my appointments now so that I would know and have the best chances of getting my preffered times and that was a flat out no - but at least there was a semi decent reason which is that they don't know their hospital schedule very many weeks in advance (though I think that might be bs because any time i have needed to see an OB for a non-pregnancy issue it is booked for 6 months in advance). 

I miss my doctors office!!! They are always so friendly, helpful, and accomodating. I have heard the OB's are all great it is just the stupid secretary that is my problem - grrrrrr.... I guess I will have to find alternate care arrangements for dd on the days that I have my appointments. 

Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
She made the first appointment with an OB who was in the office on thursday morning of the week I need to go in. When I am there I will talk to the rest of the staff in person to see what I can work out because dh cannot take 4 hrs off work every week to take care of dd and I hate to bother one of the church ladies with it every week.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member

Oh Tabatha I am so sorry you had to deal with a cranky secretary. Did you at least get to make your first appointment with an OB for a Monday or Thursday morning?

iVillage Member

Oooh! I'd be furious!!! I seriously don't think I could have kept my composure. I'm a hot head when I'm pregnant. I got in to it with a librarian that had a differing opinion on the summer reading program. What you described would have been a declaration of war.

I TOTALLY agree that you should talk to the doctor. You'll probably wind up with an awesome doc that has no idea what his or her staff is up to.

(((hugs)))! I so wish you were able to save the trouble and stay with your old doc :smileysad:

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
I would have been mad too! There's no way I would take my kids to my OB appointments if I didn't absolutely have to, especially this late in the game when you have questions that you want to remember to ask and it's important to be able to pay attention and listen to the doctor. At the practice I go to, it's required for me to rotate between the OBs and midwife, just so I've at least met them all when it comes time for delivery, because whichever OB is on call will do the delivery. It seems to me that the secretary would be willing to accomodate you seeing whatever dr. you want to, or at least scheduling your appointments in advance. Maybe she was just having an off day and will be better next time, although that's not an excuse!

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

iVillage Member

That would irritate me too. It isn't like you are asking for much, and I am sure others have the same type of requests. I think she prob doesn't want to schedule them because she doesn't want to cancel and reschedule even though that is her JOB. I agree you should talk to the OB when you go in or perhaps call back another day and see if you get someone else on the phone. Then you will know for sure the rules! Godd luck!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
I would have been in tears, Tabatha!! I can't deal with grumpy people when I'm pregnant! I am so sorry you have to deal with that old bitty just to get your appointments made. Hopefully, she'll mellow once she sees you!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012