My first appointment--Ultrasound and Shingles!!! ;)

iVillage Member
My first appointment--Ultrasound and Shingles!!! ;)
Tue, 03-13-2012 - 9:26am

I had my first appointment with my OB yesterday. I like her. I don't get the sense that she's all warm and fuzzy but she was still friendly. I had the ultrasound and it dated me at 6wks3days which is 2 days ahead of my due date based on my lmp but I sort of suspected that I ovulated a couple of days early. Anyhow, she won't change the due date based on that. But I do have a question: Based on my LMP she's giving me a due date of November 5th. Every calculator that I plug it into gives me a date of November 4th. That makes sense to me since the 4th is a Sunday and my period started on a Sunday. Should I say something to her? I don't want to make a big deal about a day, especially since the baby is going to come when the baby is going to come, but more than anything, it just confuses me. Thoughts? She didn't get an exact heartrate (Idk if it was because that little ultrasound machine doesn't give it?), but she said that looking at it she'd say it was about 150. I know it's just a old wives tale but I'm thinking BOY because DD's heartrate was in the 170s. I have a sense that it's a boy. I've got a 50% chance of being right. ;)

With DD I had hyperemesis. It was awful! My pregnancy with her was dated on an ultrasound because I didn't remember when my LMP was. Based on that, my hyperemesis started at 6wks2days. Based on LMP in the pregnancy, I'm 6wks2days today and 6wks4days based on the ultrasound. The point here is, here I am at the same point in my pregnancy that I became deathly ill with DD, and I'm not deathly ill. I'm not even going to say YET because I'm weirdly superstitious and I don't want to jinx myself. I've had a bit of nausea the past few days, but this morning, none at all. My OB did say that if you have it with one, you're likely to have it with your others, but I'm feeling very optimistic that I'm out of the woods. :) I've been waking up every morning a little terrified that it will begin but so far so good. If I make it to week 7, I'll breath a sigh of relief!!

Saturday I got this rash on my side. My husband texted my father-in-law a picture of it (he's a doctor) and he came back and said it could be shingles. I figured it's just my luck. I sometimes worry that I have some bad karma built up and, either way, my pregnancy with DD, while healthy, was obnoxiously eventful. Well, my OB confirmed yesterday that, indeed, it's shingles. Smh. She put me on Valtrex--the herpes medication. That was fun to pick up from the pharmacy. After the gal checking me out gave me the glare of judgement, I made sure to let the pharmacist know that I had shingles when he was giving me instructions on the medication. Also, these things are HORSE pills if ever I've seen them. I have to take them 3x/day for 7 days. I'm never going to remember to take them so I've given DH the task of reminding me. Lastly, evidently DD could contract chickenpox from me, despite having the vaccine. So I have to keep it covered and be careful about itching and touching her, etc. Great!! Happy Pregnancy, ladies!! ;)

-Rachel

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I had shingles with my last pregnancy! I remember those horse pills and getting the meds at the pharmacy! I told her I had shingles, too.... Lol.
iVillage Member

I wondered about the leap day too. I'll just mention it to her when I see her next month. It's really negligible so I'm not going to make a fuss. This child will make it's appearance when it's good and ready, anyway. :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Margret--about eating while you can--that's EXACTLY what I've been saying. I've been indulging like nobody's business. But if the next couple weeks pass with no signs of hyperemesis, I've have to cut back a bit. ;)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I was just about to suggest that. The other thing is that my doc uses a circle thing to calculate due date and it often falls between days so they round up. No biggie in my opinion.
Hope the shingles heal quickly and dd doesn't get chicken pox!
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Hmmm... I wonder if your OB's calculator isn't taking into account the extra day (Leap Day) and the other calculators are. That might explain it.

Sounds like a good appointment, minus the shingles. I hope they go away quickly!
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member

I so hear you on the morning sickness!

Lilypie Maternity tickers