Not the greatest appt!

iVillage Member
Not the greatest appt!
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 8:38pm

So, last Tuesday I had my glucose test.  The number came back "borderline", so they tested again 5 min later and it came back "high".  So, today I went in for my fasting test.  My fasting and 3 hr numbers were fine but my 1 hr and 2 hr numbers were at 230. So, I have to cut out sugar and test 4 times a day.  Not fun!  And I also got my first progesterone shot, so I hope that helps me some with my "irritable uterus", the doctor wasn't sure if it would or not.   So, not the greatest morning!  And I get to go back in for a followup next week.  Ugh!  Now, if they could sneak a quick ultrasound in, that would make the appt worthwhile! :smileysurprised:)   Anyway,  anyone else being monitered for GD?  Also, my doctor really hasn't said anything about the progesterone just that we should try it. Anyone have info there?  From what I read on the internet, it all looks good. Less chances of preterm delivery and less chances of PPD.

Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 9:51am
I have zero info on the progesterone! I hate that you're having to deal with GD!! UGH!!

Stay well, Momma!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:57am

I had my first GD test yesterday and they said they'd call me with results this week. So, we'll see.  A lady I work with and also the wife of a co-worker, both had GD. They both said it's just a hassle, but nothing major came of any of it.  Hopefully, your's be the same. 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:33pm
So, everytime I have tested my levels, I'm fine. So, I think that this will be short lived. Hopefully! :smileyhappy:
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 2:35pm

Good!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 11:35am
Hi! Thanks for your input! Do you check your blood? If so, what is your normal range?

My doctor was out of town when I did the fasting blood test, so I meet with him next week to talk about all this. I would love the extra u/s!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 12:14pm

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with the whole GD thing! I had borderline GD with my 3rd baby & really just borderline with my 4th as well, but I was treated as full blown GD with her.

I just had my test today, so we'll see how it comes back! I'm not at all worried about having GD... it really is very easy to control with diet and exercise, all of the extra appointments are a hassle though. 

Here are some tips I have for you:

• -Oatmeal and cherries help regulate blood sugar. I tested this theory with myself, and it really did seem to help a lot. I eat a bowl of plain oatmeal, a cup of frozen cherries with a tablespoon (or 2) of natural peanut butter for breakfast anyway, so I guess if I have GD, I'll just keep that routine going!
  • -Always combine your snacks with a protein. Have an apple with peanut butter, or Triscuits with cheese, etc...
  • -Not all women with GD can tolorate milk very well. I had a hard time with skim milk (and that's all I drink). The nutritionist suggested I switch to 2%, I just couldn't do it.
  • -If you start noticing your fasting #'s being a little elevated, make sure you have a bedtime snack. It was always my fasting #'s that were wonky (between 92-99). Toward the end of my pregnancy, I had to actually get up and have a light snack in the middle of the night to keep that # down.
  • -Exercise after high carb meals, or after a dessert. My last pregnancy, I had a stationary bike that I could hop on. My #'s were always normal (or close to normal) :smileyhappy:

I'll let you know if I can think of anything else, and please feel free to ask questions! Not that I'll know the answers, but I'll try!

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 4:12pm
Thanks for the advice! What is the normal range for fasting numbers and after eating numbers?
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 12:07pm
Thanks!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 1:22pm

Umm... if I remembering correctly fasting is supposed to be under 90. Then 1 hour after a meal, it should be under 140 & 2 hours after a meal, under 120.

I just found out that I passed the GTT, but I have ginormous babies, so I'll be right there with ya on eating the same way :smileyhappy:

It sounds like you're doing great! 

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40