Suggestions on finding an OB?

iVillage Member
Suggestions on finding an OB?
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 2:36pm

DH, DS4, and I just moved from Oklahoma to Washington State. We don't know a single person here, so I can't get any recommendations for local OBs.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 5:23pm
I can think of a lot of questions, but I'm typing this on my phone...
1. Does the doctor deliver their own patients or do you just get whoever's on call?
2. What hospital(s) do they deliver at?
3. What policies does the hospital have about separating mom and baby?
4. Does the hospital only have private rooms for postpartum or is there a possibility you could have to share a room after having the baby?
5. What is the Dr's c-section rate (they can vary widely)?
6. What is the doctor's position on episiotomies? (I talked to a dinosaur who said he would do one if he thought the patient would tear even if the patient clearly stated they didn't want it in spite of studies indicating that they do more harm than good, solely because it would be easier for him to stitch up.)

I'm sure others can provide more suggestions.

Tiffa, 35

DH, 36

DD born 10/15/08, Baby #2 due 10/18/10

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 5:31pm

Thank you!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 7:49am
I hope you find a doctor who you feel very comfortable with. I live in Ontario and its a little different here. When I was having my first, I didn't have a family doctor. I went to a clinic for young mothers without a family doctor. They hooked me up with my ob. I ended up loving him, although he was on holidays in Cuba when I had my son. I went back to him for my next and will be going back again this time too.
Jen
Wife to Steve
Mommy to Chase (5) and Jasper (1)
Step Mom to Elizabeth (12) and Christian (10) pregnant
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 9:56am

With my first I worked backward.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 10:47am
Most of the hospitals where I am have both private and semi-private. I only know of 2 that only have private rooms. Here, if the hospital only has private they can't charge patients an extra fee to get the private that insurance doesn't cover. If they have both, they can charge the fee. So, it costs me less out of pocket to deliver at a hospital with only private rooms.

Also, I know multiple people who delivered at a hospital with semi-private rooms and found that all the privates were full, so they had to share a post partum room. That changed visitation rules and they had to send the baby to the nursery overnight (no choice to keep the baby). With everything that goes on postpartum, I can't imagine sharing a room and giving up that privacy.

The policies about babies going to the nursery also vary widely. There are some hospitals that will let baby stay with mom, even after a cs as long as both are doing well and others that require every baby go to the nursery for
4 hours after birth even if it is a normal vaginal birth with no problems and there are no exceptions. I asked " what if you're bf, the baby can't go that long between feedings?". They said, you can choose whether the baby gets formula, sugar water, a paci, or is just left crying. Needless to say, I didn't deliver there.

I started out researching hospitals and once I picked the hospital worked on finding a doctor who delivered there.

Good luck.

Tiffa, 35

DH, 36

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 11:27am
Great information, Thank you so much! Now, off to research the local hospitals!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 11:47am
Sorry if I'm hick jacking this thread, but I'm curious.
Where are there still nurseries for the babies? The hospital I had my boys doesn't have one. Babies stay with their moms. My first was a c-section. I ended up sharing a room with my son, another lady and her twins. It was cramped. I hated it. My second was a VBAC. We had our own room. Very nice the second time around.
Jen
Wife to Steve
Mommy to Chase (5) and Jasper (1)
Step Mom to Elizabeth (12) and Christian (10) pregnant
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 12:03pm
I'm in Houston and all the hospitals here have nurseries for the healthy babies. Even the hospitals that don't force you to send your baby to the nursery for the "transition period" let moms send the babies if they just want to rest.

Tiffa, 35

DH, 36

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 6:01pm
I've never heard of a hospital not having a nursery. Where are you located?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 8:32pm
It is the same here. I am in atlantic canada jenben is in ontario - canada. I think it is the trend up here (i have delivered in 2 different cities, soon to be 3, both with no nursery just nicu). I can't remember the exact reason the nurses explained but it has something to do with strengthening family bonds, breastfeeding, yada yada. You could request nurses to take the baby for a bit if you needed rest after a difficult delivery but there is no nursery. It its actually really nice to be supported by the staff as you learn how to take care of your baby.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!

Pages