Suggestions on finding an OB?

iVillage Member
Suggestions on finding an OB?
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 2:36pm

DH, DS4, and I just moved from Oklahoma to Washington State. We don't know a single person here, so I can't get any recommendations for local OBs.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 12:12pm
I like keeping my baby with me. I think the rules requiring they take the baby to the nursery are strictly for their convenience (can monitor several at the same time) and are antiquated. I think they date back to when they were knocking women out for childbirth. Multiple studies have found that moms and babies staying together is better for breastfeeding. I've been shocked that so many women in Houston have been willing to keep delivering babies at hospitals with such inhospitable policies when they have some very nice alternatives.

Tiffa, 35

DH, 36

DD born 10/15/08, Baby #2 due 10/18/10

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 2:50pm

When I was looking for a new OB/GYN I looked at what hospital I wanted to deliver at (I denfinatly wanted one with a children's hospital attached just in case of an emergancy) and looked at the list of doctors and practices which the hospital website recomended, since I live in an area with about 100 plus hospitals (I live in Denver, CO). In my area the doctors only deliver at one specific hospital which is typically next door the where their practice is. The hospital websites also have lists of midwives and dulas as well. I have also found that you need to ask who will actually be delivering you. The practice I chose has One high risk OB, one normal OB who also does acupuncture, and two GYNs who specialize in different things. Where as the practice I had been coming from had three OB/GYNs and a midwife. They also did alot of surgeries and R/E work since the OBs served the entire county and it was 45 minutes down to the nearest big city (which was Denver). If you don't get along with one OB and don't get a choice about who will deliver you then switch to another practice or go in a different directions by getting a CNM (Certified nurse midwife), where you will get more one on one attention.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 3:14pm
I'm in Ontario. As far as I know we don't have nurseries anymore other than in the NICU. I remember my sister being in one, but that was 22 years ago
Jen
Wife to Steve
Mommy to Chase (5) and Jasper (1)
Step Mom to Elizabeth (12) and Christian (10) pregnant

Pages