Trisomy triple test results are in

iVillage Member
Trisomy triple test results are in
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 10:36am

Hello, Due to my age, i am 37, the hospital provided triple screenjing for downs syndrome.  They did a nuchal transluscency ultrasound, and 2 blood tests at different inetrvals looking for markers that would indicate Down syndrome.  At first, just from my age i was told i had a 1:145 chance of haviong a child with downs, after the ultrasound, they lowered the risk to 1:580 and now after both blood tests i have a 1:1820 chance, therefore have a low risk. From these results, the Dr and us then decide if it warrants an amnio to see what we are dealing with.  So it looks like i will get to avoid the amnio yet again...  I have to say that although i know i would love any child given to me, i am still a little scared that the risk is still too high.After all i am the unlikely 1:100 000 person to get an highly unusual genetic (recessive) neuromuscular disease and at that i am lucky to have it in a mild and controlled form.  I have 2 other kids that i have to think about and although we could handle another baby, i don't think it would be fair to my kids to bring in a baby with special needs, I just wouldn"t be able to spread myself that thin. So Why am i so worried that my child will still have Down's syndrome and i'm not worried that this child has a 25% chance of getting this neuromuscular disease.  I guess, one i can help with and will not prevent them from living a full life and the other will.  Should i ask for an amnio to be sure...  I will have to look at the reasearch again to see the error rate of triple testing is high or not, i should be happy 1:820 is equivalent to a 20 year old's risk of having a child with Down's.  I guess its all swimming around in my head because I see a young dad struggling with his adorable 1 year old child which has Down's syndrome every week at soccer practice with my kids... Not sure what to do

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 12:55pm

It sounds like you have great results and are still worried.  An amnio is a diagnostic, so at least you'd know for sure.  However, there is a chance (averaging about 1 in 300) of miscarriage caused by the test.  So I'd start by asking the actual rate of the hospital that would be doing the test, before making the decision.  Then decide which statistic will sway you more.

Good Luck.  It can be hard to decide some of these things.