Big Baby Oliver

iVillage Member
Big Baby Oliver
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 11:13am

Arrived at the hospital for scheduled Csection at 10:30am, Tuesday October 9th.  The nurse said I wasn't to be scheduled until 11:15am. I had been given the wrong time. We had to go back downstairs to wait in the waiting room for 45 minutes. We also were informed that the doctors were very behind. 

At 11:15, we got checked into triage and had an IV started. The nurse said that they may or may not start surgery until 1:30-2pm. 2pm came around and the doctor said they were waiting on a possible emergency csection, and we had to wait until it was done. 3pm he came back and said we got bumped, maybe around 4now. 6pm the doctor came back and said 6:10 I am definitely going in for surgery. He promised, and apologized. We were in triage for 7 hours with no tv. Robby was very antsy! They came and got me ready for surgery right on time. I got the spinal and all prepped. Robby came in, and they began surgery.

The hospital was trying a new thing to keep Csections natural. During surgery, they laid a warm blanket on my chest and did not tie my hands down. As soon as Oliver was out, they pulled the curtain down and immediately laid him on my chest and I got to hold him as they began to sew me up! It was great. I didn't black out this time because of it. I was so focused on meeting Oliver, and holding him in awe. 

Afterward, Robby got to cut the remaining cord, and weigh him. They had cameras everywhere, so I turned my head to a huge 47in tv screen and watch Oliver get weighed and wrapped up. They wheeled me to recovery where I started to breast feed and he latched on, no problem. 

He was born 6:56pm, weighed 10lbs 4oz! 20.5in, and his big head was 15.5 inches around!

While in the hospital, Oliver kept losing weight. My milk hadn't come in yet, and a 10 pound baby is a very hungry baby lol. We learned he is partially tongue tied, but it may not be enough to be an issue. I have to be picky about the latch, and he does well. I had to rent a hospital grade nursing pump and supplement with breast milk and formula every feeding. Very tedious. I breast feed, then hand Oliver over to Robby who feeds him with the bottle, while I pump out more milk. Every 2-3 hours. My Csection pain made this very hard. I cant sit up straight, cant bend over, and the pain gets worse when I lay down. I was finally getting better, then had an appt and walked too much in parking lots. The next day, my incision hurt so bad, I thought I split it open internally. I was paralyzed in pain, crying. It has gotten better, but i feel like i slowed my recovery down. i am taking it much easier now. 

I was very over whelmed the first few days. coming home to 2 other kids who follow a certain schedule, and being in tons of pain, and being sleep deprived, made me very emotional. i have been crying and crying. i have been 90% more emotional than i was during pregnancy. Now that we have supplementing though,  Oliver has been sleeping for 3hours at a time, so things are now easier. I have finally come out of 'the haze'. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 9:31am

Congratulations! Sounds like you have your hands full there. He looks pretty happy to be here, though. Smile

- JM

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 8:57am

What a cutie pie!  Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boy!  Welcome to the world, Oliver.

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:34pm

He is sooo adorable. Glad to hear you are getting better and not so "hazy". Have fun with your LO and congrats!