Karsten Andrew here 70 hours after water breaking..

iVillage Member
Karsten Andrew here 70 hours after water breaking..
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 3:13pm

Karsten Andrew Birth Story

9/10/12 at 12:05 PM, 6 lbs 7 oz, 19 inches

On Friday, September 7th at 2:00 PM, my water broke at 35 weeks 6 days. I wasn’t sure at first if it was actually my water breaking since I was early and still had nothing done. We hadn’t packed our bags to the hospital or had the nursery all the way done. I called the doctor’s office and they wanted me to come in to get checked out. Karl was at work so he took a cab home and we went to St Mary’s Hospital (Maternal Fetal Medicine). I knew my water was breaking at that point because I was leaking so much that I thought I was leaving a trail behind me as I walked to the clinic. After getting confirmation that my water had broken, I was wheeled over to labor and delivery.

I didn’t get my Strep B test done at that point so I had to have antibiotics just in case. I was getting period like cramps for hours and about 12 hours after my water broke, I was given Cervidil to ripen my cervix. For me, this was super painful to get in and I was hoping it would work. I had to wait 12 hours and nothing happened. My cervix was still closed so we had to try something else. They said we could try the cervidil again (which I didn’t want) or another ripening agent called Misoprostol. I decided to go with the Miso. It wasn’t that painful going in and it was suppose to work faster. Instead of 12 hours, the doctors would check me at 4 hours. I think the first check of miso, my cervix was only a fingertip dilated. Long story short, we ended up having 4 doses of Misoprostol with cervical checks 4 hours after each one. I was increasing slowly so they started pitocin and my cervix finally got to about 6 with not much change in hours and the doctor said that if things didn’t change in an hour or so then we should consider a csection. I did get the epidural so at this point, I didn’t feel anything. After the hour wait, I was checked again and to the surprise of everyone, I was fully dilated and ready to push. I dilated 4cm in one hour which was huge for me. I ended up pushing for an hour and a half before it was determined that the baby must have changed position and the head wouldn’t come out. It was at this point that I was whisked away for a csection. The csection went fast because I already had the epidural and we finally heard our baby boy cry for the first time. It was wonderful. I couldn’t stop shaking because of the extra meds for the csection. Karl went out of the room with the baby as they sewed me back up. Once they did, they noticed something coming out of the vagina that they didn’t know what it was. The surgeons had to open me back up and it was determined that my cervix had ripped in a spiral which is very uncommon. They also found out that my uterus was thin at the bottom (something like that) and someone mentioned that it was a surprise that I carried the baby for as long as I did. I am glad that I didn’t know that ahead of time. During the surgery, they didn’t know if I would need a hysterectomy or not and I didn’t need one. The follow-up surgery lasted about 4 hours. I ended up having 2 pints of blood and 2 more the next day. The doctors think that my cervix tore when I dilated so fast probably due to the baby moving. My situation was so uncommon that many different surgeons and an urologist were present to assist and/or observe.

I am very glad the ordeal is over and I have my beautiful baby boy. He is so precious and we love him to pieces already.

karsten.crop.jpg

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
What a crazy story, Christy! I'm so glad that things turned out well for you in the end.

Welcome to the world, Karsten! It's good to "meet" you! :smileyhappy:
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Wow! Congratulations! I am glad everything turned out ok for you and Karsten. He is adorable!!
iVillage Member
Congrats! He is adorable!
iVillage Member

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy.  Sorry you had such a rough birth.  I had internal tearing with my first and remember how hard the recovery was.  Take it easy and rest as much as possible!  I'm glad everybody is healthy now.  Enjoy that little babe!

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Karsten is beautiful! Congratulations Christy!!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
OH. MY. GOODNESS!!! Thats crazy and incredible! I'm super excited for you. Welcome Karsten!
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member

omg what a darling little boy. crazy birth story and so happy you did not end up needing a hysterectomy! congrats, and i hope you recover quickly!

iVillage Member

Wow, crazy stuff, glad everything worked out in the end.  Congratulations.

iVillage Member

Congrats!!!! He's so handsome! im glad everything worked out and you are both happy and healthy!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boy! He is precious! Welcome to the world, Karsten!

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages