Anyone trying self induction methods?

iVillage Member
Anyone trying self induction methods?
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:59am

I'm just wondering if anyone is trying out any of the old wives tales to self induce or dilate your cervix.  I've heard Evening primrose oil will help dilate the cervix and I'm curious if its worked for anyone.  My Dr. who originally didn't want to induce me is caving in a little since he found out I'm due the week of my midterms, but he'll only do it if my body's "ready."

This worries me since I don't usually dilate much until go time.

Anyone had any luck with anything?

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 12:47pm
What timing on this post! I have been researching online ALL morning :smileyhappy: I have never really tried anything before but DD2 was two weeks early so I am hoping for any day with this little guy.

I made an appointment for 12:00 today to get a prenatal massage. They say relaxation is a good way to get things going naturally. Reducing tension I guess. I tried the mental thing last night by "envisioning" the baby moving lower and when I woke up this morning I had leaked all over my shirt, which hadn't happened at all this pregnancy.

On the docket for today is chiropractor at 11:45, massage at noon and OB at 1:50. We'll see.

I have heard some people swear by caster oil but you couldn't pay me enough money to try that. I don't like diarrea that much :smileyhappy: I have also heard to stay away from nipple stimulation. I guess it causes hard contractions and doesn't necessarily start anything meaningful. Who knows, every one is different.

I am a little bit further along than you are though at 38 weeks. I would wait until you are a solid 37-38 before trying anything. Your body may not be ready yet and LO may need just a bit more time. Good luck with mid-terms! I took this quarter off because I knew the same timeline would affect me. (We have a quarter system at my university).
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 4:51pm
I used EPO, vaginally, when my DD and was 2 cms by 37 weeks. My OB said that was a great start, especially for a 1st pregnancy. I didn't have crazy contractions with her either, just the normal random BHs. I don't know if it was the EPO that did it though. I will be using it again this time, with red raspberry leaf tea, walking, bouncing on the yoga ball, and sex. Semen has prostiglandins in it, like the EPO, and will also help dilate you. All the things I'm doing are to get my dilated, not get the baby out. Baby will come when she is ready, but I want to help my cervix along as much as possible!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:37am
I'm pretty sure acupuncture and perinatal massage (only had time for twice!) have something to do with LO coming at 38w. It got pretty soft down there.

- JM

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:54am

Last night Dh was really in the mood.  All I could think was "I'm too big uncomfortable to have sex, but it could bring on labor so I should do it anyway!"  But I just couldn't bring myself to do it, lol.  I wish I was one of those woman who was all for anything anytime, but nope.  I feel like a beached whale and not even the promise of possible labor can bring me to do it.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 9:09am
I'm already at 4cm, so I'm up for trying anything to get actual labor started. Orgasm didn't help (but DH refuses to actually DTD, so no go there. I asked.). Pedicure didn't help yesterday. I refuse to do castor oil. At this point, it's just a wait and see...
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 11:28am
im right there with ya bankerswife.... the thought of sex just doesnt sound fun at all. in fact, it sounds like it will hurt lol. thankfully dh feels the same way. he sees how hard it is for me to just get up from sitting, how the hell would i be able to dtd lol
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 2:43pm
Ugh! I wish I could have taken this semester off but I"m in a specialized program and if I take time off I have to start over next year. (not worth it). I've thought about the EPO and think I'll start trying that. Dr. said he'd strip my membranes next week to see if it will help move things along. He still hasn't checked me yet but will start next appt. too. I'll probably do curb walking starting this weekend as well. From my past experiences sex never worked. All it did was bring contractions all night and no dilation with it so.... I'll only DTD if I feel up to it I guess. I feel like we're all so close yet so far away still. It will be nice when October is finally here.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 4:12pm

My DS was born Jan 2 when I was in school, the term started late January but I had to take the whole term off (no childcares would take him under 6 weeks old.)  It does suck having to take time off.  But I really enjoyed being around so much when he was little.  I'm sure your professions will be understanding if you need to take midterms late or take some time off or whatever.  The important thing is you focus on the baby, school will fall into place.

Oh, and be warned, stripping membranes hurts!  But it's over super fast.  Mine were stripped with my first child.  The doc didn't warn me he'd be doing it, I thought it was a routine cervical check and almost jumped out of the bed!  But it was over before I even had a chance to yell at him.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:22pm
I dont always enjoy DTD anymore, but the drive is still there. Its just hard to be creative and into it when my options for positions are pretty limited. Other than sex tho I won't be doing anything to try and bring on early labor. Im just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. LOL Ive got 5 weeks left, but Im kind of hoping for maybe 3? haha When I was in early labor with DS tho, I did do some acupressure to keep my contractions moving along. Seemed to work okay, but didnt make them any stronger. Just kept em coming. *shrug*