Dh is nesting

iVillage Member
Dh is nesting
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 7:31pm

My husband is cleaning like a maniac!  Normally I complain that he never does anything.  But he hasn't rested in two days, he just keeps cleaning and fixing things.  He's currently on his hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor with a toothbrush!  He's also worked on the bathroom, cleaning and repairing the broken tile, helped with laundry, cleaned out the fridge, and did a ton of yardwork.  He's had this weird sympathy pregnancy for months, and I'm sure he's nesting now.  Even though he hates the term, he got super angry and almost cried and said "I'm not a bird, I'm not nesting!"  Lol, the overemotional reaction sure is like pregnancy.

Anybody else's men nesting?  I sure hope so, because it's so nice to have him doing stuff!

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 9:34pm

Thats awesome, I dont think I have ever heard of sympathy nesting.  Nothing like that is happening for me unfortunately.  DH has been doing to dishes, buying the groceries and cooking a little more than normal.  But sometimes that takes a bit of nagging.

We just paid someone to come and clean up the yard because DH wont do it.  Thinking about getting a cleaner in to do a massive once off clean before the baby comes aswell. Since I cant vaccum or mop the floor because of my pelvis, it is well overdue, and DH hasnt done that either.

I think my nesting is going to be a bake off again.  With DS, I didnt clean, I baked.  And i feel the urge to bake a heap of cakes and muffins again.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 12:15pm
That's so cute! My DH is just talking/playing with LO more and more. He has so much going on with work and school, I don't think he even notices what needs to be done chore-wise.

- JM

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 1:32pm

I spoke too soon.  Dh's little nesting spree is over.  He slept until noon and is so unmotivated today to do anything.  There are piles of things everywhere now.  Shopping bags full of home improvement items for unfinished projects, piles of clean laundry that needs put away, extra furniture that got pushed around while cleaning and needs put back.  Oh well.  I got two days of work out of him, I appreciated what I can get!

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 4:54pm
I told my DH about yout DH cleaning and he said "Is that a hint?" You've inspired at least some guilt cleaning here, too. ;-)

- JM

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 7:38pm

I take back every negative thing I've said about my husband.  As soon as he quit feeling sleepy, he went back into project mode.  I didn't have to ask, he's done it all.  Our garage is cleaned out, the dog's hair has been trimmed, furniture has been fixed, he took down every picture and dusted, reorganized the dvds/game, he even got his brother over to help move some furniture around so we finally have room for the baby stuff.  He's at the store now stocking up on groceries.  Lol, I should have contractions more often, I think it gets him motivated to get the house ready!  I don't think the house has looked this good in 8 months!  Full disclosure though, we did have to keep the kids out of the way at grandparents house, and I did have to sit with him the whole time and answer a million questions about "where does this go?" "what's this for?" "how do I clean this?"  Haha, he's just so not used to cleaning, but I'm glad he did it.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 11:24pm
Awww. So glad to hear you got poditive sympathy pregnancy symptoms back!!! I'll be sure to tell my DH about the garage part, too. ;-)

- JM

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 8:58am
That's pretty awesome! Mine took 2 hours to clean on Friday. He folded laundry and picked up the toys. I told him I needed to clean Saturday and he told me he already had. I asked about floors. "Oh, they aren't that bad." I asked about bathrooms. "Eh, we'll do it sometime."

I will give him credit. He balked at me ever having dogs, and now that the new one prefers him, he's helping out with them SO much more. They live outside (one chooses to and the other chooses not to be separated), and he had them out playing at 7:30am Saturday morning, and has even been feeding them some. Once baby gets here, he's taking time off to build them a new fence/play area. So, my DH is nesting...for the dogs. Sigh.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 5:09pm
Mine isnt sympathy nesting, but Im totally jealous that yours is. lol But I will say that my DH has been really good about taking DS out to do "guy stuff" on the weekends leaving me at home to nest on my own at a leisurely pace so I dont over do it. So I guess I'll just count my blessings. lol