Say WHAT?! Crazy things people say to pregnant women

iVillage Member
Say WHAT?! Crazy things people say to pregnant women
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 10:47am

We're all at that point. What crazy stuff are people saying to you?

My fave so far has been, "I can't believe you're still here! I keep waiting on your water to break in the office."

by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
DH and my mom's favorite was when my OB commented on an u/s: "It's amazing that something as big as a newborn can fit in there, isn't it?"

Personally, I think it's cute how she tries to share the excitement with FTMs. So cute, but crazy. ;-)

- JM

iVillage Member

Yesterday, at the hairdresser, I complained I wasn't feeling good.  She asked if I thought I'd be getting better soon, and I said, "I'm due in 13 days, it better be done soon!"  She said, "You're due?  I thought you just had a fat belly.  You're pregnant?"

Also, super annoyed with nurses who learn I lost weight due to morning sickness and say, "Well, I should go on the pregnancy diet!  I'd love to lose a few pounds!  Good for you!"

One of my OBs did not believe my symptoms.  He kept telling me to take a Tums because he was sure it was just heartburn.  Gallstones, inflamed liver, and torn esophagus were NOT going to be cured by Tums.

Last one, lol... I hate when woman tell me their worst childbirth stories.  I'm getting nervous with due date approaching, I do not want to dwell on every possible thing that can go wrong.  Everything from u/s getting gender wrong, to babies born in cars, to most painful delivery on Earth, to docs screwing up things like epidurals.  Why do woman feel the need to share this crap with a 9 months pregnant lady???

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member

I havent had anything crazy, I have had one lady ask when I was due, then when I said in about 2 months,she went 'Whoah, its gonna be a big one"  Yeah thanks. Just what I needed to hear.

And someone at work who I hadnt seen in a while, said "okay, I have to ask, are you pregnant?"  When I said yes, he replied "oh good, because Ive been wondering and you can never tell sometimes".  This was also when i had about 2 months left.

Apparently I look huge.  I feel huge, but I dont need people telling me so.  Although when I was leaving work yesterday and saying goodbye to everyone, they said, see you when youre skinny.  Kinda liked that.  Remembered there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

iVillage Member
Someone looked at me this morning and said, "So when was your due date?" Apparently I now look miserable and overdue. Lovely. And the male daycare teacher told me that baby sure was riding low today. Ugh.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Lol - so many possibilities of things to ask that teacher... I think we need to introduce the phrase "pregnancy mouth" for those people with no filters.

- JM