Breastfeeding - Your thoughts

iVillage Member
Breastfeeding - Your thoughts
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 10:04am

This has been on my mind since I found out I was pregnant. Peter still nurses regularly (5x/day during the week, 8x/day+ on the weekends), and I have no itentions of weaning him anytime soon. Family has already made it clear that it's time to be done. It's going to get even worse when we tell them I'm pregnant, and still not weaning him.

Where do you stand--
Not at all?
As long as baby wants?
A few weeks?
A few months?
A year?
Why bother?

If anyone is interested in debating anymore, there's a great board on ivillage: Breastfeeding vs Formula Debate!

by sara photo sigbysara.jpg

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 10:20am

my first son, i lasted 3 weeks. It was very difficult for me and once I kept getting blisters, i gave up.

my second son, i didnt even bother. he was 9.12lbs, it worked well that i didnt because i probably wouldnt have produced enough for that hefty eater! lol. it was also nice to be able to have the baby nursery feed him at night and i was able to sleeep after my csection.

I planned on not breast feeding ever again until now. Right before i found out i was pregnant with this baby, I was meditating and saw myself breast feeding! caught me off guard and gave me inspiration to try with this one. I plan to try it only for 6 weeks because i am NOT

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 11:40am
Ha! I quit pumping at work the week before I got my BFP. I have a love/hate relationship with that dumb thing.

FYI, if you're delivering at Mission, there's no baby nursery. He/she will be with you. It's also a baby friendly hospital, so there's no formula offered unless it's medically necessary.

I exclusively pumped for the first month, but even though P was getting bottles, DH still slept. Do most husbands wake up and help?! Now I just co-sleep and sleep through feedings.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 1:08pm
what?! breastfeeding should be a mothers choice! she should not feel forced into it! man everything here is so different than FL! now im scared lol no baby nursery? is it up to the recovering mother to bath them and monitor them? im so confused!
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 1:15pm
The nurse bathes them in the room, and the nurses come around to check them. I don't know how they handle C-section moms.

I just took this off www.babyfriendlyusa.org - it's the program sponsored by the WHO and UNICEF:
The Ten Steps To Successful Breastfeeding

The BFHI promotes, protects, and supports breastfeeding through The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding for Hospitals, as outlined by UNICEF/WHO. The steps for the United States are:

1 - Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff.
2 - Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement this policy.
3 - Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
4 - Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
5 - Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infants.
6 - Give newborn infants no food or drink other than breastmilk, unless medically indicated.
7 - Practice “rooming in”-- allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
8 - Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
9 - Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
10 - Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or clinic

You aren't forced into breastfeeding. They just don't provide any formula. You would have to bring your own. My OB's office did give me formula, as did the pedi.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 1:21pm

wow! i checked out mission hospital, it does look really nice and my doc was listed there. i like that the nurse comes in and bathes them, i always missed out on my kids first bath. Plus, visiting family members will get to feel more at home... When I had my second son, only 2 people were allowed to have nursery access. the more i think about breastfeeding, the more it still make me wanna run! lol

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 1:29pm
I had one bad nurse, but it was otherwise a great experience. They also have lots of Lactation Consultants on staff to help, and I know one of the mother/baby nurses is a La Leche League leader. I had a terrible beginning to breastfeeding, so I'm an advocate for sticking it out, but I understand why it's hard for some people.

At one point, I had 14 people in my room. I don't recommend that. ;) As for other hospitals in the area, Mission is definitely the best. I've heard some crazy things about all the others.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 3:35pm

I think breastfeeding is the mother's choice. I don't think a hospital should ever force breastfeeding.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 4:16pm
BankersWife wrote:

I think breastfeeding is the mother's choice. I don't think a hospital should ever force breastfeeding.

Baby-Friendly hospitals don't force mothers to breastfeed. They just don't provide formula unless medically necessary. Mothers can bring it with them.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 4:20pm
my second son, i didnt even bother. he was 9.12lbs, it worked well that i didnt because i probably wouldnt have produced enough for that hefty eater! lol. it was also nice to be able to have the baby nursery feed him at night and i was able to sleeep after my csection.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 5:09pm

Thanks for the info.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

Pages