Pacifiers

iVillage Member
Pacifiers
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 11:15am

Sesame Street had an episode on pacifiers today. Baby Bear was trying to get over her binky, and Elmo was talking about how he did it.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: bankerswife
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 12:24pm
We offered one to DS, but he never took it. He has a lip tie, so he couldn't suck on it correctly. He's a breast baby, but got bottles at daycare.

That said, I probably won't offer them again. If I do, it will only be at daycare. I personally feel that any pacifying the baby needs should come from me.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 4:30pm

i dont think you should force a paci on a child but if you offer it and they take it i dont think its a bad thing.....ds had one for the

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 4:53pm

My oldest took it for a while then gave it up on her own at about 5 months. My youngest was given a binky in the NICU because she was on a feeding tube for so long and they didn't want her to lose the ability to suck. She's 3.5 now and we've had trouble trying to get her off it. We've weaned her down to naps and night time now.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 9:17pm
DD1 wouldn't use one and proceeded to suck on her two middle fingers. We are still fighting with stopping that and she is six. DD2 used a pack and we were able to wean her off it so easily. Every kid is different but I know I will try to not encourage finger sucking no matter how cute it may be.
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 3:43pm
All my kids have taken the paci except Elijah.He was the only breastfed baby so I don't know if that was why or not.Hoever,he used ME as a pacifier and i hated that!!!!!! I tried my best to get him to take one,but he wouldn't. I will try again with this one too.Sometimes their not hungry and need to satisfy that impulse they have to suck.To me personally,by 2 years old I take it away...3 would most def be my limit!!! I just can't stand to see a toddler walking around with one stuck in their mouth! I don't think we've ever went to 3.When they start trying to talk and you can't understand them bc they have a paci in their mouths...that just irks me! At that time,its took except for naps and night time.My kids all had certain nipple shapes they liked as well.
babies
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 3:45pm
yep,you can't take the fingers away!!! Thank goodness,so far,none of mine have did that.
babies
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 5:17pm

yea i agree a friend of mine has a 3 yr old and he goes to bed with like 4 pacis!!!!!!! i wanted to slap her! if they have to take it out to talk then they dont need one anymore

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 9:47pm
4?wow he's behind bc my daughter carried a bunch to bed with her!!!!!lmao But not out in public.All mine that took them were extremely addicted to them...however when i thought it was time to take them...I DID!!! Sydney whined that first night till she went to sleep but after that she NEVER asked for it one time!!!
babies
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-11-2012 - 3:53am
My first son stopped taking his when my mom kept trying to force him to take a NUK. He liked soothies and she couldn't believe there was a kid who didn't like NUK. It really bothered her for some strange reason so she kept trying to force it on him and je stopped accepting pacifiers altogether.

This time my twins were given then in the NICU and I learned they actually reduce the risk of SIDS so we'll offer them again but take them away around the 6 month mark.