Pediatricians "Firing" Patients That Refuse Vaccinations?

iVillage Member
Pediatricians "Firing" Patients That Refuse Vaccinations?
Mon, 04-02-2012 - 12:59pm

Can you imagine being dumped by your pediatrician? More and more doctors are "firing" patients -- refusing to treat children whose parents refuse or delay

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member

Our pediatric office says the following on their website:

At [NAME HERE] Pediatrics, we firmly believe that your child should be vaccinated as recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) originating from the CDC and endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Doctors are professionals who provide a service. They should have the right to terminate a doctor-patient relationship with anyone with whom they don't feel comfortable serving. For whatever reason.

Obviously ER doctors, or those in similar emergency response situations need to provide care as is required, on the spot. I'm not talking about refusing to care for patients in that respect.

But in a non-emergent situation, I think doctors, like other professionals, should be able to choose their "clients." If non-vaccination is something the doctor doesn't feel comfortable with, I am not ok with he or she being forced to provide care for non-vaccinated children.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Out of the 15 women I work with-

iVillage Member
I have to take exception to your "cancer can be fixed" statement... as someone who has lost multiple family members to cancers I can tell you it most certainly cannot always be "fixed".

I know that vaccines have never affected anyone in my family adversely. I know that the supposed links between autism & vaccines are being shredded, and I used to firmly believe in that link. I do think, that with any substance taken into your body there is a potential for an allergic reaction, but you need to make your own decision on that.

The bottom line is this: are you willing to risk your child's life AND the lives of other children because you are afraid of side effects? My answer is firmly NO. And I would be freaking ticked off, and vocal about, a parent who refused to vaccinate their child which then brought a deadly disease into our school system, doctor's offices, malls, etc.

The more parents don't vaccinate, the more likely it is that we are going to see the return of diseases which had been mostly eradicated. The more likely it is that we will see mutated viruses and diseases which render the vaccines obsolete & put everyone in danger.

Our generation is living in ignorance if the true horror many of these diseases caused. People feel confident slamming the vaccines which prevent death, disfigurement, sterility & more, based on flawed evidence.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
And I would be more likely to patronize a doctor who fired their patients for not vaccinating. Bravo for standing up for your other patients!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member

Courtney I agree with you. I know a woman who grew up in Pakistan and had polio as a child. She has this horrific, deformed foot that she has to keep in a special giant boot thing, and her leg on that side is withered and atrophied. She's in pain constantly and her walk is basically, a step with her normal leg, and then swinging the other leg out to the side, to accommodate the foot. It's awful. She's a pretty woman too, but deformed & crippled. For life.

These diseases are no joke & because younger Americans have so little first hand knowledge of them, the SERIOUS risks of deformity and death that accompany many of them are too easily dismissed because someone like Jenny McCarthy says so.

That being said, I'm declining flu shots & the chicken pox (varicella) vaccine. If my kid hits the age of 10-12 and hasn't gotten chicken pox naturally, then we'll do the vaccine. I'd much rather s/he gain natural lifelong (for sure) immunity.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Lots of families don't stay up to date on health care.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member

FYI In defense-

iVillage Member
I agree that the chicken pox vaccine is over the top. :) and I had no clue that hep b shots were being given at birth??? What the heck!?!

I agree with you on that part of it Theresa... I have a friend who has been dealing with TWO forms of hep for ten years now and it is a scary, scary ride, but giving a newborn the shot?? Wow.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
So you're saying that you would feel there is no issue if someone's 6 month old who hasn't gotten all of their shots picked up a disease at their doctor's office, mall, a restaurant, etc., because other people refused to vaccinate? If your child spread that disease to another child BECAUSE you CHOSE not to vaccinate, you would feel no responsibility?

Photobucket<

Pages