Sleep Training

iVillage Member
Sleep Training
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 5:33am
Cruel? Unrealistic? Or the best thing ever?

Please share your thoughts and experiences!

- JM

iVillage Member
In reply to: txdela
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 1:57pm
I don't do it. It just seems to go against the biological norm to force our children into sleeping alone and "self-soothing" before they're ready. It doesn't help that I have the kid who cries if he rolls at night and isn't touching me anymore.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 7:39pm
i've never done it myself but know quite a few from one of my groups that have and it worked for them.
babies
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 11:45am

I guess this is something I couldn't practice anyway. My children have all slept through the night by a month old. The ones who have the duplication have all had to be woken from birth to be fed as they don't cry a lot. In fact my now 5 year old had to be timed for everything because she didn't cry EVER! Now a few of them have sleep disorders from the dup and have to take melatonin

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 3:37pm
I'm very against it. There are lots of moms in my daughter's PG that swear by it, but it's not for me.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 6:17pm

if by sleep training you mean crying it out in the crib...we def did it...and worked great only about a week or so...then he got pnuemonia and started wanting to be rocked to sleep that lasted about 6-8months and then we just started over again now as soon as he hears its night night time he heads for the stairs and waits for one of us to take him up and we lay him down say i love you and night night and he falls right to sleep...i mean he's almost 2 so he has his bad nights but 99% of the time he does great.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Community Leader
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 12:29pm
Not a btdt yet, but I think SO much depends on the age & the method.

I'm ok with an eighteen month to two year old gently learning night time limits and being taught to soothe themselves back to sleep when they wake. I'm not okay with a two month old screaming themselves to sleep, alone, in a crib in another room.

How and when "sleep training" is done matters a lot. At some point in toddlerhood/early childhood, some needs turn into wants and when those wants are disrupting everyone's rest, making for cranky parents and kids, and causing issues, I think it's ok to direct them differently. Good sleep and rest is not just a luxury - it's a necessity for health & well being. At some point, when a child's needs have all been met, sleep needs to win out, for everyone's sake, over wants.

But no young infant has "wants" which can be separated from "needs."

Photobucket