Using tanning beds while pregnant?

iVillage Member
Using tanning beds while pregnant?
Mon, 06-11-2012 - 2:42am

I don't think there is conclusive proof as to whether tanning beds are harmful or not to an unborn baby, but I'm curious to know what other people's thoughts are on this. I recently heard a story about this girl I know (not a friend) who was tanning at the salon at 8 months pregnant. I am of the opinion that it seems like a pretty selfish decision to do something that might be bad for your baby. Some people think this is okay. I have even seen people on the internet claiming their doctor said using a tanning bed is fine. Is that true, or are they just full of it? I just don't see how it can be more important to anyone to have tanned skin than a healthy baby. Maybe I am just overreacting, but I was disgusted when I heard that story. Then I was even more disturbed when I went online and found out lots of other expectant moms do this as well. I haven't used a tanning bed in years, and I wouldn't dream of doing it while I'm pregnant. A tan will never be more important to me than my baby. It's almost summer, can't people just go outside in the REAL sun?