Yahoo CEO Plans to Work Through Maternity Leave

iVillage Member
Yahoo CEO Plans to Work Through Maternity Leave
Wed, 07-18-2012 - 10:37am

Yahoo announced Monday that Marissa Mayer, a former Google executive, was taking the reins of the technology company, and hours later it was disclosed that she was also expecting her first child in October.

Yahoo's board may have been reassured by Mayer's unusual description of how she plans to handle the time off she will take to have a baby.

"My maternity leave will be a few weeks long and I'll work throughout it," Mayer said.

New Yahoo CEO says she'll work through maternity leave- http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/17/12790329-new-yahoo-ceo-says-shell-work-through-maternity-leave#comments

Yay for a woman CEO!  How do you feel about her plans for maternity leave? Several of the comments on the article suggest that other women think her announcement sets too high a standard for women in the workplace (and the hard-fought battle for maternity leave).  What are your plans for maternity leave?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 5:55pm
She probably has no choice if she wants the job. All executives I've known are constantly defending their jobs - it's move up or move out. Let's hope she has a supportive family. And I agree that this shouldn't affect non-executives.

Olympic athletes set the bar pretty high, but that doesn't mean all athletes are expected to perform at that level. In figure skating, many years passed before a female skater competed with a triple axel after Tonya Harding and Midori Ito left competition.

- JM