Braxton Hicks with pressure?!

iVillage Member
Braxton Hicks with pressure?!
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 11:33pm

We went swimming today...well, let me confess. Even though it is 105+ here I don't like to swim. I just float. ANYWAY :smileyhappy: when I got out of the pool and dried off I had a really tight BH and I could feel pressure. It was over in like 15-20 seconds. I seem to be having them more frequently. I go in to the dr tomorrow so I will ask about the frequency. I am ok laying down but sitting and esp when I stand they come on. I don't think I will make October which in all honesty is fine with me but it is still too early right now. He needs to bake a little longer.

Anyone else having BH like this?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 5:39am

i think i am getting them....whenever i stand up my stomach feels like a cement ball! or when i roll over. i have  dr appt today also...im hoping they do an US and maybe can tell me if im having them or something. im hoping i go a little early Jacob came two weeks early so a girl can hope! lol

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 9:18am
I have them. I get some pressure, but most of mine is wedged up under my ribs, so I can't breathe when they hit. And just to keep me on my toes, I get the occasional painful one too.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 11:12am

I get them, too.  My pregnancy week-by-week book says there are normal contractions, false labor contractions, and braxton-hicks contractions.  I really don't know what kind these are.  I never had them with my other pregnancies. 

So yeah, what you're feeling is normal.  Sucks, but normal.  You don't need an ultrasound to confirm them (even though u/s are fun!)  When we saw my contractions on an u/s a few months ago, it was kind of hard to tell what was going on.  From what I could see my placenta would drop down an inch or two, then come back up, and they said the movement meant contractions.  If you are concerned, a nonstress test is a better measurement of contractions.  Also, when I was in the hospital a few weeks ago for pain (turned out to be gallbladder) I had to get checked out in Labor and Delivery before the ER would see me.  The L&D nurse said there is a test they can do to tell if a labor is coming early.  It's a vaginal swab, and it's accurate as long as you haven't had sex within the last day or two.  I didn't need it, but I guess it's something to consider if you're worried about an early baby.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 3:18pm
Always. Sometimes I clench my butt cheeks because it feels like she's going to pop out!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 1:17am
Drinking extra water helped me get less frequent ones, but I don't think I've experienced the pressure you all speak of... Just squeezing like LO running out of room.

- JM

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 12:57pm
tons. had ten in one hour a week ago. Fun aren't they??
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 2:24pm
Well there goes my theory - doc said I was having contractions today, so I have to be checked again on Monday. I can't seem to tell the difference between LO moving and contractions. *sigh*

- JM