BTDT Ladies- How did you know you were in labor?

iVillage Member
BTDT Ladies- How did you know you were in labor?
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 9:55am

Nature has designed birth simply and elegantly. Although every labor and birth is unique, and your labor will unfold in a very special way, the process is remarkably and beautifully constant. What follows are the typical changes that occur throughout the stages and phases of labor.

Your Labor Guide- http://www.ivillage.com/your-labor-guide/6-a-144645

BTDT ladies, with your previous pregnancies, how did you know that you were really in labor?  What signs did you notice that made you realize this was really *it*?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 11:29am
Lots of mucousy bloody discharge, regular contractions that hurt from the get go.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 1:29pm

contractions that felt like really really intense menstrual cramps or i think at one point i thought i just needed to poop before they were consistant then they moved to my lower back and ofcorse the discharge.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 8:11pm
My water broke, woking me up. 45 minutes later, I started having slightly uncomfortable contractions and was still pouring fluid. 5 hours later, I was holding Peter.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 11:52pm

My water broke at 36w 6d around 3 am while I was getting out of bed to go pee. In fact, I thought I was just peeing myself at first because it was trickling. Contractions didn't start for at least 4 hours or so, but I was still admitted to L&D right away once they swabbed me and determined it was indeed the amniotic fluid leaking. DS wasn't born until almost 9 pm that day. I hope my waters break before contractions again this time. I liked that they didn't send me home and that I never had to worry about timing my contractions.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 6:44am

My waters broke at 38 weeks, and then I was induced 24 hours later, so I guess i never had to wonder if it was it.  Although the night before I was induced, I had what I think were contractions, werent exactly over the top painful but woke me up and kept me awake, the nurse gave me pain killers and told me to go back to sleep.  They only lasted an hour.