C-section questions

iVillage Member
C-section questions
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 8:48am

Would a BTDT mom answer some questions for me?  I'm still hoping my baby flips, but I'm trying to mentally prepare for a c-section in case he stays breech.  I'm a worrier, lol, things are easier for me to handle when I know what to expect.

Does the epidural hurt?

Do you have a catheder?  And it is it while you are not numb, or just during surgery?

Am I supposed to shave down there before surgery?

How long until you could drive again?

What were your weight lifting restrictions?  (Can I get my 20 pound stroller out of the trunk?  A 10-15 pound playpen? Groceries, laundry, all of that...)

Will I be able to wear my full-panel maternity pants after birth, or do I need something low cut that will go below the incision line?

Thanks in advance for any input!  My midwife is one of those that just says, "Don't worry, everything will be fine, and it's different for every person."  But I'm intimidated about the unknown, it's easier if I have a general idea of what to expect.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 9:58pm

Thanks for all the input.  I didn't realize how low the incision was.  Good thing I asked, because originally I thought low cut pants would be the best bet.  (And I don't have any, and would have had to go out and buy them.)  Also, since I had my hospital drama this week, I actually met and signed all the anesthesia paperwork.  The guy told me the needle was as narrow as a thick hair, and that calmed me down a lot.  I don't know why, but I was picturing a giant needle out of some horror movie.

My baby did move this week, but only into a worse position.  He was diagonal but breech.  Now he's sitting straight up.  Lol, he was supposed to move the other direction!

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 6:56pm

Does the epidural hurt

It pinches and feels a bit bruised for like 10 seconds but then that's it.

Do you have a catheder? And it is it while you are not numb, or just during surgery?

I had a catheter which they inserted after I was numb.It satyed in until the next afternoon-I delivered 9 pm.

NO! You can or they will use clippers to trim down the hair but it is not reccomended you shave because it increases the risk of wond infection for both vaginal and c section deliveries.

I have heard 6 weeks,I have heard 3 week. I have also heard that once you are able to make sudden movements as if slamming on brakes without pain then you can drive.

What were your weight lifting restrictions? (Can I get my 20 pound stroller out of the trunk? A 10-15 pound playpen? Groceries, laundry, all of that...)

I don't think you are supposed to lift anythign heavier than your baby. I found that if I did overdo it and lifted something i would get pain and cramps and would start to bleed vaginally.

Will I be able to wear my full-panel maternity pants after birth, or do I need something low cut that will go below the incision line?

I found the full panels comfortable because anything that has a lower waist,even really low the band rubs and irritates the incision. the panel would cover your incision but it is not a thick waistband so doesnt hurt. The incision is really low so it isn't really possible to find pants that would be lower than the insision because then half your crack and part of your pubic area would show.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 8:03am
Hey, congratulations Christy!!! Are you two home already? Can't wait to read about your LO! *Hugs*

- JM

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 12:16am

Thanks for the replies!

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 10:33pm
I did have the terrible shakes during the csection. It was a wierd feeling. The epideral wasn't painful but it was uncomfortable because I was having a contraction and couldn't move. They put the catheter in after the epi. They normally remove it the next day but I had mine in an extra day due to my lenghty surgery. I wish I had the csection before the hour & a half of pushing. It made my cervical tear worse.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 5:22pm

Does the epidural hurt?

No, not at all. I did however had two side effects: I was extremely nauseous and was shaking the entire time until it faded. 

Do you have a catheder?  And it is it while you are not numb, or just during surgery?

Yes as you wont be allowed to get out of the bed until the next day. You will be on bed rest until a nurse comes in to tell you that is time to get up.

If you usually shave, no. I didn't have to. 

I was feeling very good after the surgery so I had no restrictions whatsoever. 

What were your weight lifting restrictions?  (Can I get my 20 pound stroller out of the trunk?  A 10-15 pound playpen? Groceries, laundry, all of that...)

Can't remember......I was back to my normal routine by the time I went home 2 days later.

I am trying to remember......I wore normal clothes as soon as I got home. Again, it depends on how well you recover.

And yes, your midwife is right. I was clueless about c-sections until I had one. I guess that having no information made it easier because I had no expectations and no limitations. I actually read about the no driving thing about s weeks ago and thought it was silly. However, my sister had an emergency c-section as well and her recovery was not good.   Hope your baby turns soon! If not, please dont stress too much about it. It is really not that bad. Take care

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 5:58pm

Thanks.  I'm dehydrated again, and it's causing tons of contractions.  I needed to know what to expect just in case.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:44am

Does the epidural hurt?

---- I didn't think it hurt bad with either or my births (one vaginal, one csection) They numb the area with novocaine before the actual epidural insertion. It just feels like a pinch. I never had any back pain with recovery either. 

They will also hook you up to an IV. and they told me they also gave me an 18hr morphine drip with the epidural. (in the IV)

Do you have a catheter?  And it is it while you are not numb, or just during surgery?

---- Yes. I am pretty sure they did it while I was already numb. Its a bit blurry since it was 6yrs ago. I cannot remember when they took it out. I want to say it was in till the next day, cause day 2, they made me get out of bed for the first time.

-----Yes. I told them I shaved and they checked to be sure I shaved the correct area. You just need to shave the top part where the hair begins. Don't have to go all Brazilian lol.  This is where they cut. Literally RIGHT above the bone.

----As with any labor, 2 weeks. It will take 2 weeks for the bad pain to subside anyways and you wont want to drive. After 2 weeks, the bad pain goes away and its just tender when you move certain ways. I remember feeling totally normal again at 4 weeks post partum.

----- Don't remember restrictions, but I dont recall any issues with any of that. I carried the carseat, stroller and all that. This is all after that first 2 weeks. 

---- Go with high cut!!  Yes do the maternity pants! Anything lowcut will sit right on the incision and will be very uncomfortable. I had granny panties for underwear too. They were great. 

Thanks in advance for any input!  My midwife is one of those that just says, "Don't worry, everything will be fine, and it's different for every person."  But I'm intimidated about the unknown, it's easier if I have a general idea of what to expect.

---- yes, saying don't worry just makes you worry. I like knowing details of what to expect.

One thing I didn't expect was the set-up for surgery. When you go in, they have you sit on the surgery table. They give the epidural which hits quick! They immediately lie you down. They then strap your arms down and you will feel like Jesus on the cross. They will open up your whole gown and you are exposed to everyone setting up! It felt to weird and creepy but they were all doing stuff around me and didn't even seem to notice I was lying there naked. They rub your incision area with iodine and then cover you up. (I think this is also the time they do the catheter, but I can't remember) Once covered, they allow DH to come in. They put oxygen on your nose, put the sheet in front of your face, and prick your body with pins all the way up to your armpits to check if the epidural is working. Then doctor comes in and baby is born like 10 min later!