Colostrum question

iVillage Member
Colostrum question
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 2:21pm

I am a first-time mom and all this is new to me. :smileyhappy:

I was actually shocked to find a quarter size wet spot on my nightgown last night. I had gotten up to see a lightening storm and sometime during the lightning display it happened. It was only on the right side. I thought that usually with first-time moms, it doesn't happen until after the birth. I am 30w3d today. I hope that doesn't mean Karsten will be coming early. ??  It is another sign that this birth thing will be happening before too long. :smileyhappy:

Questions:

1. There was clearly a spot on my nightgown but I wasn't wearing a bra at the time. I am unsure if having a bra on would have prevented it from leaking onto my shirt. It wasn't a whole lot and it stopped after that. Would I be ok with just wearing a bra?

2. Since I had a tad bit of leakage, should I be wearing nursing pads or something like that just in case? I would hate to be out in public and look down to see a wet spot. I got a few nursing pads free and I opened one up this morning to find out they are huge. I am not leaking that much (knock on wood) and don't want to wear a big bulky thing. I ended up folding a thin panty liner in half and placing it in my bra today. I don't know if the leaking will happen again, but I have a feeling it probably will at some point.

3. Since I only leaked out of my right breast, should I just focus on that one or should I put something on the other in case that one decide to flow.

I really thought that I didn't have to worry about this until birth.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 2:50pm

i think a sports bra with the nursing pads(or the panty liner) in it would work...if its just a little bit the panty liner should work for now but ill tell you right now i was filling disposable pads and still leaking by the time Jacob came...and he was two weeks early...and just because only one side was leaking doesnt mean the other wont at some point! just keep an eye on it if you notice a small spot again..its so hard to plan for what your body might do...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 3:17pm
1. If it's a molded cup bra, you should be ok.

2. What about some cloth nursing pads? They're more comfortable.

3. I would put something in both if you feel the need to.

Leaking doesn't mean the baby is coming anytime soon. Some people just leak early. :smileyhappy:
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 3:35pm
This begs the question: Disposable or cloth nursing pads? How many will the average Jane go through? How often should you change dry ones?

The washable ones I saw did look comfy on the box...

- JM

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 3:40pm
My LC told me to change with every feeding in the early days, since it provides a warm, dark, moist place for yeast to grow. Yuck!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 4:10pm
Wow. So like 6-10 sets a day?

- JM

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 4:29pm
In the beginning, at least. Especially because as you feed on one side, the other side will let down, thus filling up that pad.

And I would think it would be more like 8-12 sets at a minimum. You'll definitely nurse more the 6x a day in the beginning.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 6:38pm
I guess I better start buying the pads. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 3:35pm
The packs I saw here had like 6-8 pads in them!

- JM