The cough that will NOT go away!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
The cough that will NOT go away!
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 8:59pm

So I caught yet another cold over a week ago.  It was nothing major but this damn cough will NOT go away.  I have no mucus now just a cough.  I have it during the day but at night is soooo much worse!!!!  I have been eating cough drops like they are going out of style but they provide no relief, which is a first for me.  It is freaking terrible.  And I have to hold my crotch everytime I cough so I don't pee my pants!!!!  This morning I hacking so bad I thought I was going to throw up UGH!!!  I do not have allergies or asthma so not sure why this cold is not going away, oh and no one else in my house has it!!!  Could it possible be bronchitis????

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 9:48pm
Ugh I'm so sorry.:smileysad: I had an upper respiratory infection in the first trimester and was put on antibiotics had an awful cough. Cough drops didn't help me either a round of antibiotics and it ran it's course, but the cough lingered. You should see your doctor to be on the safe side. When i had bronchitis i had a fever coughing and wheezing. Feel better hon!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 11:35pm

If it really won't go away, nothing else helps, and it's keeping you up at night, a mild dose of Prednisone might help.  It's a miracle drug for some people.  But it's also a Class C pregnancy drug, mostly due to a possible birth defect link during first trimester.  There are no studies showing negative effects in later pregnancy, and most OBs consider it safe now.  I'd still try everything else first (allergy meds, cough meds, a round of antibiotics.)

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-25-2012 - 11:08am

the fact that you dont have mucus, id say it sounds like asthma. Have you doctor  check your breathing, you could be weazing and not even know it.

Maybe they can give you Abuteral which is much less intesnse than prednisone. Prednisone causes lots of side effects. try to avoid Pro-Air brand abuteral! that stuff makes my heart race.... i bet after a week of using the abuteral when needed, it will go away. I get asthma flair ups from colds and allergies. and my doc keeps asking me if im breathing okay cause pregnancy can intensify asthma. have them check!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-25-2012 - 11:10am

plus the fact that you are almost throwing up is also a sign of asthma. that happened to me when i didnt realize i had it. asthma is not always a constant thing. i rarely get flair ups. and when i do, it sounds just as you are describing. it is always a lingering cough after a cold. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 5:48am
Aww. It does sound like asthma. Is the air dry where you're at? That could do it, too. If that's the case, some type of cough drop would work. We can't have honey right now, right? I'd normally heat that with some honey for relief. First tri, I took fennel throat lozenges, so maybe fennel tea would help just as much? Or even a humidifier. Humidity also plays a role for asthma and allergies.

- JM

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 5:49am
*lemon with honey

- JM