craigslist real posts or scams?

iVillage Member
craigslist real posts or scams?
Sat, 06-09-2012 - 8:32pm

I've been checking craigslist every few days for baby items.  I'm noticing two types of posts.  Does anyone know if these things are real or scams?

1) The same person is posting TONS of advertisements for namebrand new products.  They offer huge discounts compared to store prices, and want to meet at a warehouse.  Everything is in sealed boxes, but they show you an open version.  (Just like it would be at a normal store.)  I worry that these may be defective returned merchandise, or missing pieces inside the box, or something.  Are these really legitimate products?

2) There are ads begging for free baby items.  Single moms explaining how they are struggling, and begging for donations.  I do lots of second hand shopping and yard saling.  I could easily get some baby clothes or a stroller or something to give to a woman in need.  Heck, if they're telling the truth, even a $10 giftcard to Walmart is better than nothing.  Are these real stories or scams?

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-09-2012 - 11:28pm
I've seen the ads for asking for furniture here in Germany on the ebay classifieds - as there a so many other sources for help here, it makes me think these are some re-sellers looking for stock to sell. They're actually closing the well-stocked goodwill /clothing bank here because they don't have enough "customers".

And anytime I see a huge markdown, I wonder. Even at the outlets. Lol. I'm still wondering why I got my maternity cargo pants for 35€ on Amazon when the catalog is still selling them for 115€. Overstocks maybe? After hearing scary craigslist happenings in the news, I'd avoid replying to any ads that seemed off.

- JM

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 3:02pm
We have a baby boutique outlet in my town. They have everything under the sun, baby product wise, and sell it at great prices. They get overstock or discontinued items from all sorts of stores.

The women in need. This is a hard one. We had a couple women on our local craigs that were scamming people out of baby supplies, and reselling it. I see more scammers trying to get free things, than people in actual need. It's sad.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 4:22pm

Thanks for the input.  I think I'll stay away from trying to buy brand new bargains online.  As for the women in need, I did email one.  I offered her some extra baby stuff I had (nothing fancy, but I have doubles of somethings from babysitting) but said I couldn't give cash.  I was a teen mom, I'd love to help if I can, but don't want to get scammed.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012